Difference between Muscovy and Domestic ducklings

I'm kind of embarrassed to be asking this but... what is the difference between domestic ducklings and Muscovy ducklings at hatch??!

lol
That's a great question! Muscovy ducklings with the wild pattern have just one eye stripe. The solid-colored ones are a little harder, but I've noticed that their claws are a little longer.

That's a great question! Muscovy ducklings with the wild pattern have just one eye stripe. The solid-colored ones are a little harder, but I've noticed that their claws are a little longer.
That's the thing, these guys don't have the wild pattern. Now, I do have one yellow duckling with a black tail, which in Muscovy would be Barred, is this common in domestic ducks?

That's one of the things that got me wondering, as well as the fact that some do appear to have longer claws and 'perch' on my fingers.

Background: Took away the 'early' Muscovy eggs that weren't fertile yet and replaced with fertile duck eggs. But, the nesting boxes were in the Muscovy coop, so it's possible that some of them may have added to the nests. I removed eggs after ducklings hatched and put them in the incubator. Got ducklings hatching from one day to up to a week later thus wondering if the late hatchers are scovies.

Post some pictures!
*grumblegrumble* Taking duckling pictures is like herding cats... Thankfully, I have experience in both! :lau

First two are a pure yellow duckling. See how it clings to my finger?

Next two are the black-tailed one. Bill colour is the same, but I've only seen this in Barred 'scovies (yes, I have it in my flock). Second shot is blurry but there may be a bit of a hook at the end of the bill? Can see it better in the shadow, lol!

Last two are a group photo, mostly to show the two chocolates. They seem to be getting a bean on their bills.

As well, the two yellow ones particularly, are much friendlier and willing to interact with me, something I've found is a common Muscovy trait.

Attachments

• 20230617_165651.jpg
    20230617_165651.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230617_165656.jpg
    20230617_165656.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230617_165730.jpg
    20230617_165730.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230617_165755.jpg
    20230617_165755.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230617_165924.jpg
    20230617_165924.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230617_165927.jpg
    20230617_165927.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 5
Next question is what other ducks do you have ? I would guess the late ones would be Muscovy but it also depends if girls were still laying in the box
I had ti block off my ducks nest as her sister were still laying in there day 19 when they broke one of her live eggs
I would remove them every morning so no staggered hatch but they ended up breaking 2 one early and the late one killing that egg
@Miss Lydia has had Muscovy duckings hatch in the past
Maybe she can help

Next question is what other ducks do you have ? I would guess the late ones would be Muscovy but it also depends if girls were still laying in the box
I had ti block off my ducks nest as her sister were still laying in there day 19 when they broke one of her live eggs
I would remove them every morning so no staggered hatch but they ended up breaking 2 one early and the late one killing that egg
@Miss Lydia has had Muscovy duckings hatch in the past
Maybe she can help

Here's the thing, I was stupid. I had six domestic duck eggs in the incubator when I put the abandoned eggs in. And one hatched and of course knocked everything around. I did not mark the eggs. 🤦‍♂️

The domestic ducks would have been mixes. I know for sure the two black ones are, as well as the yellow in the bottom middle and the one with the facial markings (they are about a week older). The yellow with the blaze on it's head I'm not sure, it hatched around the same time as the others.

Back
Top Bottom