Difference between Muscovy and Domestic ducklings

A month later, I can definitely differentiate between them. The older four are Domestic, and the younger four are Muscovy. As well, the three oldest Domestics are female (quack, anyone?) I just can't tell yet with the black one.

1689964260533.jpeg

What's more, I'm pretty sure the two the chocolate Myscovies are a male and female (named them Rosie and Posy, Rosie has a partial white ring around her neck). Haven't figured out names for the white or barred ones yet.

Of the Domestics, the gray one is Smudge (this one might still be a hybrid), the white is Snowball, the black is Coal, and the pied might be named Panic (she freaks out at everything...)

I thought if they were pure yellow they're domesticated. My May ducklings were 5 yellow and 1 with slight black markings on his head. The black scovy ducklings are dark with yellow breasts, wing tips, and tails. They both have hooked bills, just the dark have beans on their bills.
I think I'm confused on terms. I consider white Muscovies domesticated and patterned Muscovies closer to wild. The yellow ones have matured into glow white and these brown & yellow will be a surprise. By domesticated looks like your talkin' Mallard based ducks?

Attachments

• 20230519_083235.jpg
    20230519_083235.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BabyDucks.jpg
    BabyDucks.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I thought if they were pure yellow they're domesticated. My May ducklings were 5 yellow and 1 with slight black markings on his head. The black scovy ducklings are dark with yellow breasts, wing tips, and tails. They both have hooked bills, just the dark have beans on their bills.
I think I'm confused on terms. I consider white Muscovies domesticated and patterned Muscovies closer to wild. The yellow ones have matured into glow white and these brown & yellow will be a surprise. By domesticated looks like your talkin' Mallard based ducks?
Yes, it's shorter than writing out Mallard-derived. :) And technically, Muscovy aren't ducks, so... But we still include them in the duck discussions.

White Muscovy just have two copies of the pied gene. What do you consider the blues and chocolates and other colours to be?

Here is a pair of true wild Muscovy:

1689971495308.png

Notice their caruncles are mostly black, with very little red. Whilst that can be found in the domestic Muscovy lines, it's quite rare. I actually prefer it to the monstrosity caruncles in show birds.

Back
Top Bottom