Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Pics
These are my 8 week old B/B/S Ameraucanas and Olive Eggers I hatched from eggs I got from CottageGarden.

P1110073.jpg

P1110149.jpg

P1110068.jpg

One of my 3 EE/Spangled Russian Orloff hens ~ has yellow legs & lays a green egg

P1090141.jpg

EE/Spangled Russian Orloff Roo

P1020705.jpg

Billy ~ 10 week old EE roo with single comb, green legs and a nice fluffy beard

P1100634billy.jpg

Hello, I hope somebody is still following this thread. I have some info to share as well as some pictures. Looks like a few of you may have some cuckoo EEs. I have a young roo who is really barred. He doesn't have a great comb, so I had to do some research to make sure it is actually a pea comb. I found some interesting info in that search. I have a book called Genetics of the Fowl: The Classic Guide to Poultry Breeding and Chicken Genetics by F.B. Hunt. He describes the comb the same as others have, but adds the following about pea-combs, which seems to be particularly apt for easter eggers.

"In heterozygotes from a single-combed parent, dominance is only partial, and the central blade is well developed, thickened, and irregular, while the lateral ridges may be quite inconspicuous and appear as knobs resembling side sprigs. This is particularly so when the single-combed parent is a Minorca or Leghorn. In such stock, classifications should be made in adults rather than in chicks. Bateson and Punnett (1908) found 'certain types of pea comb in which so little of the pea character was evident that in young chicks they were easily mistaken for singles.'
"It was noticed by Munro and Kosin (1940) that in pea-combed birds a ridge of thickend skin runs lengthwise of the body in a mid-ventral line just under the keel of the breastbone. This 'breast ridge' was found in several pea-combed breeds, and in cross brreds, but never except in birds with pea-combs. It may be casued by some gene very closely linked with P but is more likely another manifestation of the later."

Of course, I had to rush out at first opportunity and check out not only his comb, but his "keel" (as soon as I looked up that part). He has the pea-comb thickened in the middle with one tiny side sprig, and small lines on the side in back. Just to the side of his keel there is bare patch of skin with a line. His appears like a well healed scar. It is the color of his skin. I didn't try to get a picture of it as it would be hard to see in a picture. Here's a couple of pictures of him and his comb.
50716_barred_ee.jpg

50716_headshot.jpg

Here is a picture of the "mid-ventral line" on a different EE with a better pea-comb.
50716_peacombline.jpg

and a picture to show you the positioning of the line on the whole chicken. Don't worry, this chicken is alive and well, and was quite relaxed during this process.
50716_positioning.jpg

This line was more obvious and thicker on the chicken with the better pea comb. When I checked the same area on a single-comb orpingtion, not only was there no line, there wasn't any bare spot either. Have fun rushing out to check your birds.
wink.png
Now, here is my question, would any of you, really and truly, buy hatching eggs if you could get nicely barred EEs? We are definitely keeping this guy because we think he's so beautiful. Since he has a pea-comb and the line I'm hopeful he'll throw hens that lay green eggs. I have white EEs, cuckoo marans, dominiques, and barred rocks to breed him to. I'm thinking I could get some interesting barred colored layers from those breedings. We are going to have fun with it wether or not anyone would want such birds, but I'd like to know if others would be as enamored of them. Happy Summer.

So disgusted with the hatchery for posting EE's as Ameraucanas, but we love our pullets and roos, who are all very consistent in form with beards and sideburns, single pea combs, and gray legs. They probably won't lay for at least another month or so. I'll try to post photos soon. I would like to get some real Ameraucanas at some point.

One question I was wondering. Does anybody know of any "natural" way to intensify the color of the shell by manipulating the chicken's feed? Like if the eggs are a very pale blue, can you feed blueberries or something to them to make them have brighter blue eggs?
big_smile.png

From what I've read, color of the shell depends primarily on the genetics and on the laying cycle. Color intensity can fade as the laying cycle lengthens, then intesify after moult or a brief pause in laying. However, it isn't completely linear, but has ups and downs during the complete laying season--again, so I've read. Maybe certain foods could keep nutrition up higher than normal and increase the color. Blueberries are certainly nutritious. But, the blue color gene causes the whole shell to be tinted rather than laying a film on top of the shell. So, I don't know of any nutritional changes that would noticably intensify the color of the shell. They yolk is certainly another matter. Perhaps someone else will know more. Good luck.

Quote:
That's ok, I wasn't needing the yolks to be blue.
wink.png

big_smile.png
That's good, cause if it worked that way you'd probably get bright green yolks! -- And then be quoting Dr. Suess more than ever....I don't like green eggs and ham!

After having my hens for over a year, I have to say that I prefer my feedstore araucana's (read EE's) over my blue ameraucana. The EE's are brown with slate legs, muffs and pea combs. The EE's were the first to lay of all my hens. They layed consistently through the winter. The eggs were as blue as the ameraucana eggs and bigger. They are sweet and sociable They haven't gone broody. The ameraucana hen layed small eggs when she was laying (she is broody now) and some of those had no yolks. She's kind of on the hysterical side personality wise. I want more blue eggs because they sell so well. I thought I would order some hatchery EE's. Has anyone had luck with EE's from mypetchicken?

I've not ordered from them myself, but I've read a number of times here on BYC that they drop ship from other hatcheries. I've also noticed that they list other hatchery availability for breeds. Perhaps those are the ones they from which they get their chicks. Just for your information.

Back
Top Bottom