Different age chickens and Feed questions

Heather67

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Merit, Texas
What do you feed when you have different age chickens and they are all together? I have 3 months to age 3. I have tried to separate them and it isn't working. They all like to be together. My question is I need 3 different feeds for the ages. how in the world do I do this or is it ok that they all eat the same feed and if so what kind? My 3 month olds don't need Layer feed my 6 months need growth feed and my 4 months need chick feed. Please help. Im worried each age won't get the nutrients they need.

You didn't mention breed, but a lot of folks will have everybody on layer feed as early as 12 weeks. A happy medium would be an all-flock feed, which has more protein for the birds still growing, but much lower calcium, for those who don't need it yet. Then add an oyster shell station for free-choice feeding, for the egg-layers. I also make large tomato cages (out of welded wire) for the little ones to go into to eat chick starter.

You didn't mention breed, but a lot of folks will have everybody on layer feed as early as 12 weeks. A happy medium would be an all-flock feed, which has more protein for the birds still growing, but much lower calcium, for those who don't need it yet. Then add an oyster shell station for free-choice feeding, for the egg-layers. I also make large tomato cages (out of welded wire) for the little ones to go into to eat chick starter.
Cooper Marans are my youngest, then the EE and Ameracaunsas, the older are Silkies and RIR and Buff Orphanage.

When I got day old Chicks last year, I fed them a Medicated (Amprolium) Start and Grow 18% feed for 10 weeks, then when bag was empty I switched to Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock Flock Raiser crumble 20%, whichever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC.
I feed this throughout adulthood. (I give my Chickens low protein treats. A 16% Layers feed doesn't make the cut here).
When my Adult chickens feed ran out, they were also fed the Medicated feed till I switched to Non-Medicated. It's safe to eat eggs when the feed contains Amprolium.
I offer Oyster Shells separately. 20181214_095753.jpg . GC

Last edited:
A creep feeder (something the chicks can get to but the adults can't) can work to keep the adults out of the chick feed but I've never found anything that works to keep chicks out of adult feed. I've seen broody hens take feed out of a elevated feeder to give to their chicks. By two weeks the chicks were flying up to the feeder to eat it directly. So I feed them all the same thing.

Studies have shown that feed high in calcium can damage growing chicks. It's not what is in one bite but more about how much total calcium they eat all day and average over several days. If Layer is a small part of what they eat it is a lot less likely to damage them than if all they eat is Layer. I've seen studies that fed chicks nothing but Layer from hatch, another that started at five weeks. The results were the same. The chicks on the higher calcium feed had a higher mortality rate and when they cut the chicks open they saw organ damage. There was also a study that showed that roosters (that don't lay eggs to get rid if excess calcium) fed nothing but Layer suffered some damage though usually not as much as growing chicks. To me it is pretty conclusive that excess calcium can possibly cause issues. Not every chicken is affected the same way and it depends a lot on how many grams of calcium they eat a day. So it can be a bit confusing.

I typically have growing chickens and a rooster most of the year. To avoid all this confusion I never feed Layer. When I have young chicks everyone eats a 20% Starter. After about a month I switch to a 16% Grower. Mine forage for a fair portion of their food so I don"t have that tight of control over what they eat anyway. It works for me. Others prefer a higher protein feed. That works for them. With as much as mine typically forage Layer probably isn't that dangerous but why take a chance when you don't have to?

I offer oyster shell on the side. A pullet or hen that needs the extra oyster shell for her eggs seems to know it instinctively and eats enough. The ones that don't need the extra calcium might eat some but typically don't eat enough to harm themselves. Some chickens' instincts are better than others so there can be exceptions, but this seems to work pretty well and is the best I can do.

Back
Top Bottom