different feed requirements for young pullets and laying hens- when to integrate?

katydidit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
I have a small flock of laying hens that I have kept separate from my 10 week old flock. They have been separated by a temporary fence in their run, and this morning a couple of the young girls got over the fence and was in the layers... there wasnt any aggression (which was the main reason that I separated them in the first place), and they seem to have adapted to each other.

My main concern is feed, obviously the older girls are on layer crumbles, and from what I've read, if you give pullets layer feed too soon it contains too much calcium and can promote unhealthy development (correct me if I'm wrong!). The 10 week olds are on chick mash currently. When can I safely integrate both flocks? Am I overthinking the feed issue?

I would appreciate any feedback! I'd love to not have to climb over the temporary fence every day to fill up waterers :) lol.

Thanks!

My chicks grow up in the flock with the adults. When I have chicks, I feed grower or flock raiser to everyone. Oyster shell is offered separately, just like grit, regardless of what I'm feeding. I've never seen chicks show any interest in the oyster shell.

So do I stop feeding my adults layer crumbles? And is flock raiser different from chick mash?

Back
Top Bottom