Different ideas for perches

DesireeB

Chirping
Jun 30, 2022
Any ideas for unique perch ideas? I have large tree stumps in the coop. I had a long swinging perch, but they didn't seem to like it that much. Is it ok if the nesting boxes are higher than the perch? my hens use the nesting boxes just fine. Thanks for sharing pics and advice!

On mine, one end of a sapling rests on the horizontal part of the frame of the shed. The other end rests in a vee-shaped notch of a board attached to the frame of the poop board. No nails or screw or brackets. Between the weight of the branch and the wedging, I have to lift it up out of the vee-notch to turn it (I don't do that very often, that was just to say the chickens don't budge it.) Carving the vee into a semi circle is on my list of things to do, someday, maybe.

Any ideas for unique perch ideas? I have large tree stumps in the coop. I had a long swinging perch, but they didn't seem to like it that much. Is it ok if the nesting boxes are higher than the perch? my hens use the nesting boxes just fine. Thanks for sharing pics and advice!

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters. :)

The issue with the nests being higher than the perch is that the hens may sleep in the boxes. Where they sleep they poop so if they sleep in the nests the eggs get dirty.

I like natural branches as my perches -- in part because I have to buy 2x4's but scrub oaks and pine saplings are weeds that have to be cut anyway.

Hi, thanks for your reply.I'm in Rocky Mount, NC. i could use natural branches and would love to. how do you hang/attach them in the coop? Pictures?
Totally agree re: branches. We put some in our run and to get them to fit, we cut the ends so they'd sit flush with the studs (ours are hung diagonally in a corner). Then we used deck screws to attach them. I haven't used natural branches in the hen house itself as a roosting bar, because I'm nervous about mites making their home in them. It could still happen with 2x4s (which I used), but since they're caulked and painted, they're easier to clean and repaint. The other benefit to natural branches is that leaving a few smaller branches on the main limb gives you a place to hang treats, suet feeders, etc.

You can see pictures of my natural branch perches in my coop page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-our-charming-and-eleggant-family-coop.77803/

Hi, thanks for your reply.I'm in Rocky Mount, NC. i could use natural branches and would love to. how do you hang/attach them in the coop? Pictures?

Here's a photo:

0917211227-jpg.2836345

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters. :)

The issue with the nests being higher than the perch is that the hens may sleep in the boxes. Where they sleep they poop so if they sleep in the nests the eggs get dirty.

I like natural branches as my perches -- in part because I have to buy 2x4's but scrub oaks and pine saplings are weeds that have to be cut anyway.

Totally agree re: branches. We put some in our run and to get them to fit, we cut the ends so they'd sit flush with the studs (ours are hung diagonally in a corner). Then we used deck screws to attach them. I haven't used natural branches in the hen house itself as a roosting bar, because I'm nervous about mites making their home in them. It could still happen with 2x4s (which I used), but since they're caulked and painted, they're easier to clean and repaint. The other benefit to natural branches is that leaving a few smaller branches on the main limb gives you a place to hang treats, suet feeders, etc.

You can see pictures of my natural branch perches in my coop page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-our-charming-and-eleggant-family-coop.77803/
Thank you!

Amazing coop!!!!

Back
Top Bottom