Dig barrier tested and passed

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
In case you're not sure whether it's worth the trouble... I went to the coop this AM and found that something had persistently tried to dig in late last night or early this morning. Literally, a dig attempt every few inches around the perimeter of the run down to the skirting fence. Where the skirting fence ends at the corner of the brooding coop, there was a hole about 18" across and 6" deep. Nowhere to get in over there but that didn't stop the attempt.

What kind of wire did you use? Glad to hear it worked!

We had a roll of chain link left behind by the previous homeowners. I cut it in half lengthwise with mini bolt cutters (horribly tedious, BTW) so there's an 18" skirt of chain link. We dug down just enough to be able to cover it over and it's tied to the framing with wire.

Wow, what a persistent predator! Glad to know that your barrier worked though. That's some nice peace of mind right there.

Sweet!!

Man, I would love to see pics of that.

Considering it was built 7 years ago, that might take some digging.
1f602.png
But that's also good news because it's all still sound! IDK how long buried chain link takes to rust but now I know it's longer than 7 years!

Last edited:
No, not the barrier itself, but the systematic digging you found....would be a great example of it working just like it should.

Oh! Crap, I already smoothed it back and stomped it down.

The kids found footprints and they're BIG canine. I thought fox by the determination but now I'm on the lookout for starving abandoned dog.

Back
Top Bottom