Directions for raising baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cocky, May 28, 2008.

1. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Does anyone have a good set of directions for how to raise chicks from 1 day old to time to go outside, or know a link to some?

I am a teacher and I know how pretty well but I am looking for some directions to print out and give to some parents so I dont leave anything out.

We just hatched off 18 eggs in my incubator here at school and some of the students are taking some home for pets.

Thanks for your help!

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I hope they are going to homes where the parents already know how to take care of them? I don't think its a good idea just to let anyone take them home. They should only go home with students who's parents know what to expect.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    www.mypetchicken.com has a really good booklet you can download that gives basic care information.

And I agree - they need to know what they are getting into BEFORE they take them home... maybe you could have a 'return them to me' clause if it doesn't work out??

Maybe you could print off the booklet and give them a link for BYC too to help those getting the chicks give them the best possible care!

4. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Quote:Thanks, I will check out the booklet....that sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

As for the link to BYC Don't worry, I already tell anybody who stands still long enough about BYC. Much less a parent who I am going to give a chick to.

5. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Quote:Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am really somewhat insulted by this. Not only does this remark not even somewhat answer my request, but it also belittles my knowledge.

Of course I have already taken care of all of that.

6. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    So sorry I assumed since you needed to hand out instructions that the families didn't know how to care for chickens. Certainly, didn't mean to offend.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    I like the mypetchicken guide but this piece of advice:

"do not listen to anyone that tells you a regular old 60 watt bulb will suffice! We've seen chicks die from this bad advice. They really need a lamp intended to produce heat, and as we've mentioned, we recommend the 250-watt variety."

Is really misguided. If I put a 125w bulb in my brooder the air temp hits 113-120 and that's not directly in the light.

Otherwise, helpful stuff.

8. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Julie: I'm sorry....thanks for your help, it just struck me kind of at the time.

I am sure the families who are taking the chicks will take care of them. I just wanted some basic advice to give them and didn't want to have to typ it all up myself.

arlee453: Thanks! that guide was perfect for my situation. I used a few parts out of the chicks chapter and that was all I needed.

sixpantsmaloney: I agree....I would never use more than a 75w bulb unless I had a really big box.

9. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    No problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by