Dirty goose eggs

outwest

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
Today I discovered my Embden's first nest of eggs (yea!) but they are all pretty dirty. I've tried to clean them as I would like to sell them but can't seem to get all the dirt off. Is this normal? Are they even safe to eat? I can't figure out how they would get so dirty. They made the nest in a little A-frame I built for them and although it has no floor, I spread straw on the ground for them. Any ideas?

Are you able to eat or sell them anyway? This is my first forary into the geese--can you tell ? =)

How many eggs were in the nest? If they've been sat on at all then I wouldn't advise trying to eat them.

This is the same with my ducks I get down to their cage at around 7:00- 7:30 and the egg is covered in poop and muck and I clean the worst of must it's still stained, should I try to make a nest out of straw on the floor for them or will they just pull it apart, I know ducks lay on the ground.

When I had ducks had several varieties including calls. I gave them a nice size dog carrier and put straw in them. They would all go into the dog crates and lay their eggs.... They tend to like an area they can hide in to lay the eggs.
No matter what yoou do ducks get their eggs mucked up. Just wash them good if you are going to eat them. I use to just put some dish detergent in the sink with tempid water and wash them off.
Hope this helps a bit. You can also make wood nest for them.

Last edited:
When I had ducks had several varieties including calls. I gave them a nice size dog carrier and put straw in them. The would all go into the dog crates and lay their eggs.... They tend to like an area they can hide in to lay the eggs.
No matter what yoou do ducks get their eggs mucked up. Just wash them good if you are going to eat them. I use to just put some dish detergent in the sink with tempid water and wash them off.
Hope this helps a bit. You can also make wood nest for them.
I have Runners and I've been told they just lay wherever they are foraging, which I find peculiar.

if you want clean eggs add a floor to the nest house you made. place pine shavings in it and lots of hay or straw on top.

Geese tend lay every other or every third day. With that said how many eggs were in the nest? They could be pretty old, or even started developing if the goose had been sitting them.

When washing any poultry or waterfowl egg for eating you should use water warmer than the temp of the egg (dont refrigerate them prior to washing) and wash gently

Are you able to eat or sell them anyway? This is my first forary into the geese--can you tell ? =)

No, I just throw them away. I only have two geese and one is molting right now so there is only one egg every few days. I always make sure they have plenty of nesting material in their house and they do make a nice big nest and then poop all over it. They have also made a nest outside in their yard, lay an occasional egg in it and then abandon the egg. Mine aren't motherly at all.

No, I just throw them away. I only have two geese and one is molting right now so there is only one egg every few days. I always make sure they have plenty of nesting material in their house and they do make a nice big nest and then poop all over it. They have also made a nest outside in their yard, lay an occasional egg in it and then abandon the egg. Mine aren't motherly at all.
they wont set until they have a nice amount of eggs...... My last goose had 20 eggs in her nest before she went set

Back
Top Bottom