"Dirty Jobs" video about sexing chicks at McMurray.

Sitka

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Seattle, Washington
Very interesting and entertaining video about how they sex chicks; the video is from the show "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe, and it has his usual wry comments. Also shows how they vaccinate for Marek's and go about picking your order from the bins.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmEO9xRqvo&feature=PlayList&p=181C7C9A417ADEAD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

If
you ever have the time (wait a minute, BYCers ALWAYS have the time to read about chicken-related things!) do some internet research on sexors and their training and how they assimilate their knowledge. They study and apprentice and finally they can just "tell" the sex, even though in some cases they can't explain how they know (they are looking for minute anatomic differences, but a "sense" also comes into it from what I've read.)

I mainly wanted to post the video, but I also wanted express my curiosity about what goes on "behind the scenes" at hatcheries. I've always been curious. Anyone ever worked at one? It would be particularly interesting and helpful to have "inside information" that would help when we order.

Last edited:
Handy hint, Since none of us have to do a few hundred an hour, do a small group, let them poop on thier own then check, no poo squeezing.

So pull chicks A B C aside, watch when chick B poos, Then pick them up and sex, so no poo on you.

Back
Top Bottom