WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
One of my birds managed to get herself notably dirty. It's nothing bad or obstructive;
I've bathed her a couple times. I know how to bathe chickens, and I know it shouldn't be done too often because they need their natural oils. Is there something I should do, or just let her be?

I feel silly for asking.

I was wondering how dirty is too dirty, too. My one BO hen has the dirtiest face because they all dustbathe in pretty dark soil. It’s pretty funny. I guess it doesn’t hurt her.

Attachments

• 5138EBFE-4F62-4EA4-AA01-EA26FE450FDB.jpeg
    5138EBFE-4F62-4EA4-AA01-EA26FE450FDB.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 13
If you mean dirty by dusting herself that is not dirty
I understood dust bathing. My birds dig and dust bathe all the time. It's just that she's the first one I've had that's entirely white, and when she's out and about (sometimes the yard is a little damp) the dirt dries on her feathers. I'm not bothered by it. She seems fine.
I've never had to worry too much except an unfortunate incident with thick mud- which was easily handled.

I was just wondering if I was missing something.

I was wondering how dirty is too dirty, too. My one BO hen has the dirtiest face because they all dustbathe in pretty dark soil. It’s pretty funny. I guess it doesn’t hurt her.
Thank you so much for sharing! That is a lovely bird!
My BO is constantly in the flower bed, digging and dust bathing. But she never really looks dirty. The dust just falls off. I think my white pullet was a little wet from the yard (morning dew) and some dirt dried on her feathers. She's so white, it's noticeable, particularly on her feathered feet.

Last edited:
That would be my advice...
.....if it's just dust bathing 'dirty'.
More info and a pic would help.
For now, I've decided to let her be. It could be from dust bathing but the dirt has dried on her feathers in speckles and her feathered feet are dingy. It isn't a problem, but I was wondering if I missed out on something I should be doing.

-Picture attached- just some speckles, practically nothing, but her feet are a little dirtier. I don't have any pictures of that right now. She's the first solid white pullet I have, so everything shows up on her.
20190908_174945.jpg

Exactly!
I wouldn't worry about it.
Give her time and she may well preen those specks off.
Thank you for the reassurance. I'd hate to let something's go if there was something I should be do differently.

Back
Top Bottom