Disadvantages of Jumbo Guinea Fowl

legozac

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Burnet Texas
I am looking at getting started with Guinea Fowl. I am thinking that Jumbo Guinea Fowl are best because of their increased size for meat. Are there any disadvantages of the Jumbos and reasons to go with the regular Guinea Fowl instead?

I had never heard of jumbo guineas so I did a little bit of Googling. I found several people mentioning a large breed of guinea known as the "French guinea" and one disadvantage the people mention is their inability to naturally reproduce. So if you were considering a self sustaining breeding flock you probably can't do them.

one of them (jumbo, french, I don't know which) can breed naturally. One big disadvantage is that they are not getting away from ANY predators like the regulars, they can't fly, but this would only be a problem if you were freeranging. They are however very strong (the first couple of times I went to catch the one I had he broke away, they'll also eat more and I'm not sure if they'll really need anymore space.
Hope that helps some.

Jumbos supposedly breed naturally if free ranged daily, the only disadvantages IMO are that they only come in Pearl Grey and the food consumption difference
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom