Disadvantages of raising white feathered chickens?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Never noticed a problem with my light brahma girls looking any dirtier than my buffs or darks. As someone already said, chickens are obsessed with keeping their feathers cleaned.
I have noticed a problem with my dark brahma roo's white saddle and hackle feathers looking yellow. My understanding is that it's called bronzing and it's from the sun. He doesn't seem to care, but my Lil' Bit is obsessed with it. As soon as he jumps up on a roost (at night) she's all about cleaning his saddle feathers and will continue to clean them as long as he holds still.
lol.png

My leghorn always seems clean and is a great layer to boot. I don't think mine have ever had mites(me bad), and I never seen those little red specks on their necks ( which would show up really well on a white chicken). I thought it would be nice to have at least one white girl to check for mites.

The consensus is that "dirt" is the major issue. Anyone has pics of a dirty-looking white feathered chicken?

My sense is that those who initially chose white feathered chickens; feel strongly specific about NOT keeping them again after their experience. I am just wondering what is "it" that could be so abhorrent, that they would change their minds.

If a dirty-looking chicken is the reason; then they must look really AWFUL...

So pics for reference, would be appreciated.

It seems like the prettiest chicken could switch into the ugliest chicken with just "dirt."
th.gif

Last edited:
I haver a Pearl White Leghorn, a California White and a pretty Delaware.

They get dirty... especially with the roos and their dirty feet on them, but I still think they are beautiful.

My wife's favorites are the blue wheaten and wheaten ameraucanas, and even their buff feathers can get a little 'dusty'.

Quote:
I know you asked for "dirty white birds" but here is a pic that includes two of my light brahmas. No dirt. They free range all day:

xmaspics010.jpg

Quote:
I know you asked for "dirty white birds" but here is a pic that includes two of my light brahmas. No dirt. They free range all day:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff69/gritsar/xmaspics010.jpg

Hehe....those light brahmas look too gorgeous! No dirt on them. Your other chickens (?silver penciled?) are also too pretty. Ok
big_smile.png
- you have exceptional looking birds! I envy
love.gif

So help with pics - where are the dirty-looking white feathered chickens!!!!

The only thing I've noticed is that they do sometimes get muddy rooster foot prints on their back!!!!!!!!! But they clean themselves back up quite nicely.

They all stay pretty white for me. They even take dirty mud baths sometimes, but they still manage to preen themselves white again by the next morning.

IMG00151-20100111-1242.jpg

Back
Top Bottom