Disadvantages to feeding fermented

I've never heard of any disadvantages, but then I think ? most folks probably provide a 24/7 feeder of regular feed IN ADDITION TO fermented feed, to keep things balanced. The only cons I can think of are on the human side of the equation - remembering to prepare the feed, figuring out the best setup that works for you in prepping/serving the FF, how winter/freezing temps might change things, etc. At some point, my girls seem to get tired of it, so I pull back to just a wet mash for a while.

What all does fermented feed entail? Like how does one go about it?

Is it as simple as just soaking the feed the night before?
There's a bit more to it than just soaking feed, but not much. Fermented feed has grabbed yeast spores out of the air which are naturally floating around. But some of us "juice" the ferment with apple cider vinegar with the sediment, just a splash, to kick it off more quickly. The first ferment requires around 48 - 36 hours for the first time, keeping it at warm-room temperature. Using a spoon-full of fermented feed from the first batch to start a second batch just takes 24 hours for it to ferment.

Disadvantage is that fermented feed, being moist, freezes in the winter.
Other disadvantages: it takes effort to make the fermented feed, more work that just pouring dry feed out of a bag.
It can become too ‘sharp’ and they don’t like it. At least mine don’t.
If I wanted to travel and have someone else feed the chickens, it was too much to ask of them.....
Is there a special kind of feed for fermentation?

I just fermented their Purina feed. In summer, it ferments overnight.

I think the main downsides are 1) time consumption - even if you have the process down pat it still takes longer than just filling a dry feeder, 2) if you keep it indoors having the smell of fermented feed might not be the most pleasant thing, 3) it will freeze at lower temperatures and 4) a low possibility of mold if certain conditions are met. I've had mold 2 or 3 times in 5 years, so not frequent but something I need to adjust for when the temperatures rise.

Interesting, it's much more involved than I imagined.

Is there a special kind of feed for fermentation?

Or do you add water and vinegar to feed you already have?
You can ferment most feeds - it's usually recommended if you're feeding any sort of whole grain feed, to ensure the birds eat everything in the mix.

I don't bother with vinegar either. I make it as easy as possible on myself, just water and feed in a large open jar, and let it sit at least overnight up to 5 days or thereabouts (depending on temperatures). As soon as it runs nearly empty I add more feed and water, and the remaining feed from last batch kick starts the next one.

Main "difficulty" for me is adjusting the ratio of water to feed to get a very thick consistency with as little excess water as possible, as my chickens don't like it too wet or sloppy. Yes I could drain out water but that's an extra step.

Back
Top Bottom