Disaster Averted-We got chicks and PICS!

Pics
jumpy.gif

You asked for it!
smile.png

Here are my first two girls, almost all dried out.

twoshowgirls.jpg

twoladiestwo.jpg

Here is my third born, a regular silkie. Had to help her out, and she looked terrible.

silkienew.jpg

But after i propped her up a couple times, she got the hang of it, and is looking much better now.

silkie.jpg

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

newborn.jpg

i was very lucky to get my temp and humidity up and running so fast. It has held really well. Might be because i have a space heater right next to the incubator.

hygrometer.jpg

i will take and post more pictures after the new kids dry out. i must say, this has been a nice diversion from fretting about selling our house.

Well, thought i was done. Day 24, five chicks have hatched, nothing from the last two eggs. Just picked each up, tapped and chirped at them, and one of them chirped back.

Guess i have one more sleepless night. But well worth it to get such beautiful chicks.

Congrats on the healthy babies! I am in the VERY same boat w/you about stressing over selling the house
sad.png
It's horrible! We've found the PERFECT home but can not make an offer until an offer is made on our home. It really, really sucks. I am driving myself mad over it.
Kristi

Kristi - i'm so sorry! It is so emotionally and mentally taxing trying to sell your home, while living in it at the same time. Everyday we get up and take the shabby bedspreads off, put the nice ones on, and clean like crazy. We've had showings, but no offers. Tomorrow my husband drives 400 miles away to start his new job, leaving me here until we can sell. i don't even want to get attached to a new house until we are in escrow here.

So where are you now, and where are you moving?

Quote:
So happy to hear you saved all those babies!! I am soooo nervous about hatching my eggs out when they come. It seems like it must be very hard to know just when to help out and when to leave them alone. Do most hatches require at least some help?

Quote:
i hatched for the first time last summer. It was very stressful, as it was all new. i had to intervene on a number of occasions. But there was one time i did not intervene and it was fatal. One chick came out with part of the shell still attached, and started to drag it around, pulling it's intestines out. i had in my head "Don't open the bator", but since that instance, if i see a chick is still attached, i open the bator and quickly clip it loose.

There was another occasion i helped too much and too soon, trying to get a baby out of the shell. It survived, but only after suffering in the bator for several days, looking like it was going to die.

i think the best advice i can give is to follow your instincts. If i had in those two incidents i mentioned, i would have done differently.

So, what are you going to be hatching out?

Back
Top Bottom