Disaster Averted-We got chicks and PICS!

Quote:
Sounds like good advise. I am getting (12) Blue and (6)Buff Orps, (6) JG, (12) SS and (6)Black Australorps eggs coming.

I know that's a lot of different breeds but I didn't want to deal with pecking order issues later or having to quarantine chickens. So I figure get all the breeds I want up front. I am always looking ahead and trying to avoid bumps in the road whenever possible. I know what you're thinking
roll.png
LOL

i think you are absolutely right in hatching all the birds you think you want at the same time. Merging flocks is very time consuming and stressful for the birds. Very smart on your part.

What a wonderful selection. After we get moved to a larger property, i think my husband would like some of those bigger birds. We briefly had a buff orp and several jersey giants, before realizing we didn't have enough room here. But my husband LOVED them. i've also read that astralorps are very friendly, and good egg layers.

What are SSs?

The SS are Speckled Sussex, and I have a dozen New Hampshire Red day old chicks coming (about the time the eggs should be hatching)

I will see how many girls I get and pick out the best boys of each breed, then either sell or send to the freezer the rest.

I got the JG because I heard they were great mousers.
I wanted a nice selection of dual purpose birds.

They are all supposed to be docile breeds and cold hardy.

Can't wait!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom