Discarding non-developing eggs?

Veiji

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
Sturgis, Michigan, USA
We are nearing day 8 of our incubation. I have been told so many things. To wait till day 10, or day 14 to candle to see if they are actually developing. I don't want to leave unfertilized eggs in for too long and risk the other eggs.

Do I do it day 8 and discard if I see NO veins or ANY developing, or do I wait till day 10 to be sure?

*We use Nurture Right 360*

What do you suggest?

Wait until day 10 if you want, but if there are no veins by day 8 chances are it won’t change by day 10. I pull mine on day 7, you can clearly tell which are infertile by day 7 if the egg shells aren’t too dark.

Thanks! I don't want to jump the gun on any of it but I also don't want to risk the others.
I’d only start worrying after day 11 that’s when eggs start to stink and if they’re left stinking in the incubator, they’ll eventually explode or crack/leak. You should be fine if you want to keep them in a little longer.

Have you actually began to see the beginning of development as late as day 7 or 10? I'm talking spider veins not appearing until then? Cuz when I candle, if it's not there by day 5, it never comes. I've only incubated maybe 100 eggs so I'm by no means an expert. I'm known to leave everything in, even clears, until day 25. And I'm starting to worry about the risks.

I've left eggs that never started to develop in the whole of incubation. They acted as heat sinks to keep the temperature steady (I had a lot of infertile pullet eggs from my new girls first time around - it was autumn after all).

It's when eggs start to develop, then die, that causes the insides to rot and that's when you get exploding eggs.

I've left eggs that never started to develop in the whole of incubation. They acted as heat sinks to keep the temperature steady (I had a lot of infertile pullet eggs from my new girls first time around - it was autumn after all).

It's when eggs start to develop, then die, that causes the insides to rot and that's when you get exploding eggs.
Yea never leave eggs in there that never developed for that long :gig

We are nearing day 8 of our incubation. I have been told so many things. To wait till day 10, or day 14 to candle to see if they are actually developing. I don't want to leave unfertilized eggs in for too long and risk the other eggs.

Do I do it day 8 and discard if I see NO veins or ANY developing, or do I wait till day 10 to be sure?

*We use Nurture Right 360*

What do you suggest?

Time and space is money. Ive gone down that route and have never found much success in waiting until day 10. if I cant see any sign of life by day 8 I go into egg recycle mode. Eggs get used in the garden, shells get dried out and ground down to supplement the birds diet. Especially if you see NOTHING by day 8....

Back
Top Bottom