Discoloration showing on the shell? Pictures Added...Still need advice

stitch81

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
I have a few eggs that have shells that look sort of "porous". 2 of these eggs I have noticed are developing a bit darker color on the shells at the top of the egg. These are also a few of the eggs that I have been unable to really see development due to the darkness of the shell. Does the darker color developing at the top of the shell just mean that the chick is developing in there? These are Buff Orpingtion eggs, if that helps, and we are on day 7. My other question, I saw that a porous egg was not ideal for hatching. What are the consequences if a porous egg is placed in the incubator?

This is the egg in question. I tried to take a picture showing the discoloration on the outside of the shell. I'm on a laptop, and if I tilt the screen back further, I can actually see the discoloration in the picture better...

93025_image002.jpg

And here is the same egg, candled 15 minutes ago (Day 7).

93025_image006.jpg

I have 6 eggs, that are difficult for me to tell how they are developing, as their shells look like this one. Can someone more experienced than I, tell if there is development here? This is the best candling pic I could get.

Last edited:
Here is a thread that shows AWESOME pics of all kinds of egg, including progression pics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

Setting a pourous egg can lead to it weeping, which is a bad thing, and if that happens remove it immediately. Now, I have a white leghorn that lays pourous eggs daily - it's just what she does. I have hatched those eggs with no issues. However, I keep a very close eye on them.

Quote:
I've looked at these candling pics many times. I added pics to my original post to try and show what I am seeing here.

There is no smell. I have 3 Buff orpington eggs, and 3 welsummer eggs that look like this when candled. The other 4 eggs of each are developing fine. They look much the same as the one pictured above when candled, but I could see the veining faintly.

Back
Top Bottom