1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hello - i just bought a used pigeon coop from a man to use for my chickens. It's real nice with roosts and nest boxes across the back. i'm hosing it down now, but wanted some suggestions. What might be good to use to disinfect it? Would dish detergent, or dilute clorox, or some other such thing be good to scrub it down with? It's pretty loaded with pigeon guano right now, but once that's hosed out, i want to make sure there is nothing left which might be harmful to my chicks.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Colleen

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you can, pressure-wash it and then use Virkon from your feedstore (or you can buy online if necessary), is what I'd do.

Have fun (yeah, like cleaning a poopy old coop is 'fun' [​IMG]),

Pat

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've never heard of virkon, but looking it up now, it sounds like just the right thing. Thanks!

Yes, fun, fun, fun here, cleaning out bird poop, in hundred degree weather. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by