Disposal of dead chicken in winter

jjb1953

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2013
What do you all do for a chicken who has dies during months where ground has frozen?
Typically we bury our pets, but we cannot as ground is frozen and we have a couple of feet of snow.
Thought of a Viking funeral type of thing (burning) but would a regular fire even work?
I don't want to put in woods for wild animals ad I feel it might encourage them to try and get live birds or my dog would find.

Hi.
frow.gif

Sorry for your loss.

Whenever my dogs get a hold of an animal I always double bag it and put it in the trash can to head for the dump, legally. My property is to small for burials or piles. Previous places we lived was actually illegal to bury an animal on your property. I suspect that is because some people don't go deep enough and allows for disease to spread.

When my in laws try, it always gets dug up by another animal within a day or two.

I know people who are NPIP have to bury or burn the body. I am not sure if the fire will get hot enough... I guess it wouldn't be hot enough to turn the bones to complete ashes. But it should burn the flesh and feathers and probably get hot enough to kill disease...
sickbyc.gif
Hate the smell of burning hair.

One other option I probably wouldn't choose is many animal control offices will take deceased animals to dispose of with their method which is often the dump. And they usually charge a small fee.

Yeah just read bonfire method gets pretty sinks ... So we won't be doing that. Our previous property, we buried many pets ... No one was ever dug up, but we put in a box and wrap the box in heavy duty plastic .... The kind vets use for animal disposal.

I teensy tiny part of me is considering trash (if it is legal) but I don't know if I could do that.

I suspect it is going to be a snowy cold winter. Anyone have thought of burying in snow for the season (again in a pet disposal bag and box? Maybe I can build a wood crate.

If it were me, I would probably put the dead bird in the trash (legal here). Or, you could follow jolenejellybean's suggestion: freeze the bird (wrapped securely in plastic, of course) and wait until spring to bury it.

Yeah, you can wrap it up in plastic and put into a cooler outside in the Cold till spring but that will get stinky before the ground thaws.....Trashing it is the best Idea.........I took my Bird to the Dump when she died from a heart attack......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom