Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Just getting here....Hi, Kris! Love the new avatar! How's things in the south?

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Busy crazy day! Headed to bed. I'll have to play catch up later. I've read a bit, but still not caught up. [​IMG] Good Night!

3. Hey Kris!

night night

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    @Outpost JWB Your CCL bred to anything else will produce blue/green eggs. Bred to a marans hen you'll get olive eggers. The CCL carry 2 of the blue egg genes so they will alway pass blue on.
    I've caught up on reading this thread today too!
    Been busy here. Drove over 8 hrs round trip last night to pick up 5 more ancona ducks. Got the home and in there new quarantine pen. They're extremely happy with their new home. Also got 2 more breeding pens going! One of them needs a top door put in it tomorrow but that's easy. All of this was built from stuff we already had laying around so no cost! Going to buy a couple light sockets to allow more lights in the pens but that is cheap enough. Got the swedish flower hens seperated and going to move the chocolate orpingtons tomorrow once the top door is done. I'm off to bed, wore out considering we didn't get home till after 4am, hed after 5am and slept till noon!

Hope everyone has had a good day and night!

5. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Good to know about the marans. I have one blue copper hen and one black copper hen. I've been searching for a marans rooster for them to no avail. I will just give them a CCL rooster[​IMG]. Good morning @RavynFallen ! Early bird or late bird today? I am up, on my off day & it's only 1:10am. I think I have insomnia.

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Hiya, @Outpost JWB!!!

Up late, catching up... phone was stuck on desktop mode and I lost track of Dixie, lol...

Oh, and the pullet killer has been dispatched!! :D
    Got the male possum tonight and think he killed off the babies that were under my house...

How are you, besides being up early on your day off?

7. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Good! Catching up on laundry and dishes from not having running water for 4 days. Thought I was so prepared, having 2 liters and gallon jugs filled with water, then when it came down to it, the 5 gallon buckets outside froze, so we had to use a bunch of bottled water for the chickens. I would bring in a 5 gallon bucket each night & let it thaw in the tub, which kind of worked but found out one of the buckets had split on the bottom. It's been crazy. Never know how much of a luxury running water is until it's gone.

Because it was so cold last month, our electric bill was $500. For one month. [​IMG] Last night it was so nice out. We had the furnace turned off and all the lights off, (I am like the Electric Police now,) and we were in the backyard looking at a possible coop area for this spring at dusk. I told DH that the electric company is probably calling to check on us. Make sure we're ok with that meter not buzzing. I have got to get a plan together to stop giving all these blood sucking companies my money!

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, wow! So sorry about the water! :(
    Glad all is good now... we had 300 for last month and I thought that hurt, lol... our furnace shut down on our one really cold night, never wanna deal with that again!
    Would love to get off the grid for our power, but gotta save up for the solar panels and conversion...

9. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Yes, us too. Going to check out Harbor Freight on the solar panels. Sorry about your furnace. Went thru that last year. I can't wait to get my water bill[​IMG].

10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Oh, gawds... that's not gonna be a nice bill... :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by