Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. 1kluckychik

1kluckychik Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2014
    Skipperville, Alabama
    v,I am so sorry to hear the news........[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Me, too, V

IW, nice avatar!

3. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

whew what a long day...and I smashed my thumb putting the wheels on the tractor and it still hurts I got it good

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    [​IMG] Ouch, I hope you put some ice on it.
    The tractor is looking great and your chickens seem to love it!
    Soooo jealous of the nice green garden.....mine is still white [​IMG] High tomorrow is forecast at 7F and for Thursday 2F.....those are the highs [​IMG] Lows tomorrow night and Thursday night....-10F!! A bit of a reprieve on Saturday but then back down again.....and I have a pullet that is broody. I've moved her back to the roost at night now for a week and she is back on the nest in the morning. I'm thinking of giving her three eggs and see what happens. It is way too cold but if she sits and nothing hatches, she may just give it up [​IMG] or she'll hatch a couple and that will end it.

Good night all! [​IMG]

5. 1kluckychik

1kluckychik Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2014
    Skipperville, Alabama
    Thank you!!!

6. Amberjem

sounds like you have a plan set up...sweet dreams... I wish you a warm tropical morning when ya wake up :)

7. Amberjem

[​IMG]

8. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Stop smooching my wife

9. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Hi all!

It was a busy day today. Cleaned out the large and small brooder and one small grow-out cage. Put the nearly two-week old BLRW chicks into the big brooder, scrubbed and scoured the incubators and paraphernalia. All clean in the back bedroom (well, everything still covered in plastic tarps, but carpet clean and all chicken stuff clean) and just waiting for the 2 marans eggs to hatch that are in lockdown.

Then outside for some fresh air and chicken run assembly. Got the run wall panels all secure and a deck ledge installed below the chicken door, the lattice trim under the chicken house installed, and now need to build the roof, put on doors and lay down some sand...but that can wait until another day. I've got a couple of workdays this week and I really just want to finish the build in one shot rather than leave the roof half done.

So with a couple more daylight hours left I took the girls out of the coop, gave it a thorough cleaning and did some minor tweaks to it, like reconfiguring the roost area into two bars with wider perching area, installing a gravel/grit feeder, adding a little more privacy to the nest boxes via tacking on a privacy bar to the front of the coop (makes the nests a little deeper, too), putting a thermometer in the coop, and adding shaving savers to the coop entrance and the chicken door so that whenever they are opened the shavings don't spill out. Put the chickens back in and the girls really went to town with the grit feeder.

I am exhausted and it's an early wakeup and long commute for tomorrow.

@vehve
    So sorry to hear Virpi didn't bounce back. She had a good chicken life, though, and be happy you got to experience her and all her quirks. I'm sure on some levels she put you through your paces and taught you a lot.
    [​IMG]

10. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Would you rather they smooched you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by