Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    keep it up, she might pull through. My current broody has almost killed herself sitting too. Provided her powerade and heat and she's perked up quite a bit.
    Gave her some raw honey, molasses, and the powerade. She's still willing to eat on her own though.

2. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    I'm sorry @vehve. At least you knows she's no longer auffering.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

blach.... super sorry @vehve

4. [​IMG]

Thankful for learning from you, but so sorry.

5. JulesChicks

JulesChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww, so sorry @vehve - you gave it your best shot and at least she is no longer suffering. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing your experience so we all can learn from it.

On a positive note, your sprouting project sure is coming along!

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

There is another way with broodies. take em off the nest once per day. they will run out dust bathe Do a HUGE broody poop and pound down groceries... They will stay off only long enough to do this and hop back on. The eggs will cool a bit but that is the way they were designed to be hatched in the wild.

deb

7. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Sorry.

8. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] @vehve

I pestered the heck out of violet when she went broody kicked her off the nest box whenever I thought about it ans was by the chickens.. she would go out gobble eat dust bath and go back she did that for 18 days but I knew she was eating everyday

9. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    this chocolate orp I had go broody wasn't that smart. Throw her off the nest and she would run right back. Locked her out of the barn where her nest was and she would worry and pace the door until you let he back in. I've let her hatch this time, next time I'm going to break her up. She did a great job but not going to have one who will let he self die for chicks.

10. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

My bantam sat 40 some days. I brought the food to her, and water. She ate when I did that... There was no breaking her she was very stubborn, the instant one chick finally popped out she was off the nest...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by