Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Songster

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    I've been looking at the Canada egg auctions on facebook... man oh man!! I really regret getting the 7 egg incubator, should have gone with the 20. All the auctions are 12 eggs or more. It's not worth it for me if I can't try and hatch them all..

2. hennible

hennible Crowing

Pretty sure he/she is... Big rubber ones that al flips over and jumps on to get the ice out
    http://www.alaskanthefrostedflake.com/?s=Cold+weather+coop&submit=Search
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. hennible

hennible Crowing

Yep I already need a second Bator or a bigger one... Would've been able to sell 24 chicks if I didn't have an incubator full of duck eggs already... But I found a home for my extra ducks today so, SWEET!

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    @Outpost JWB very little snow here, but tons of sleet... been iced in for 3 days and counting...

There is currently an idiot in a 4wD stuck in the ditch at the bottom of the hill... it's just one giant sheet of ice, don't know why they even tried...

@vehve when I sprouted wheat, I needed lots of ventilation and cooler spot... maybe put strips of wood across the tops for the upper tub to sit higher and allow more air? Just a thought... and the oats are notorious for molding, I won't sprout those anymore, lol...

@Amberjem really like your tractor! But try to keep your fingers, eh? :)

@minihorse927 sorry on your svart hona and the wry neck... I was rooting for you! :hugs

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Rubber tubs, I need to get some of those, lol... thought about trying them, regret not getting them now... :/

7. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    I use both that heater in my 5 gallon nipple waterers and those tubs for my duck and my standard laying hens!

I had a tiny shot glass I set on its side and put wry neck chick sitting upright into it and put fit close enough to the edge of the incubator he couldn't easily get out. Gave it a drop of poly vi sol and left him there overnight. Last night it couldn't stand and kept flipping over backwards. This morning he was upright with his head not bent as far back and has not fallen over once today! I never thought in a million years he would make that much improvement overnight.

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Awesome! :D
    I had to help one a couple hatches ago, and seriously did not expect it to make it... gave it a drop of nutridrench and 15 mins later it had popped up and was cheeping its head off! Seems that vitamin boost works wonders! :)

9. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    yes, they do. I've corrected all wry neck chicks here with poly vi sol. I don't keep them as breeders or anything as the opinions vary on whether it's genetic or not. They just stay as layers or go to the soup pot when old enough. I have a ancona drake here that I kept for sentimental reasons. I got him last year at several weeks of age for free and he had a horrible case of wry neck. Couldn't even eat and drink on his own. Worked with him for 2 or 3 weeks and got him all straightened out. I believe it stunted his growth as he topped out at 4lbs but he's such a sweetheart and he loves my 2 blue swedish hens. He got to stay with the 2 of them for that reason.

10. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Tractor Supply sells the rubber water pans. They work great, I left mine in my fatherinlaws barn when we moved, gotta buy another one. Right now I'm using plastic gallon milk jugs cut down. Sometimes the ice falls right out, sometimes I have to smash it. If they get a hole in them they can be replaced pretty cheap :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by