Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

hey @Alaskan did you say you feed flock raiser and layer and switch off or mix them?

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Yup! If you decide to hatch any shipped eggs, Jem, and she has ones you want, I recommend her and her birds very highly!! She's amazing, packs awesome, and her birds are tops!! :)

Yep, Yep, Yep!!! :D

Only problem is that they're soooo tiny, I'm terrified they're gonna fall through some small, miniature, nonexistent hole!! lol

3. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

you could have em in a big parrot house inside :D

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

If they're pullets, I am building their own inside condo, lol... and hide them from my MIL... ;)

5. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    What kinds did ya get? and isn't the Tulip Festival in Skagit Valley in a month or so? Last time I trekked up there for that one, the bulbs were late blooming due to weather, and I was on time but too early. No they were late.[​IMG]

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Oh, yes! Do tell, Jem!! :D
    I MISS the Tulip Festival!!!!
    Huff... makin' me homesick... :p

7. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Tulip Festival! Holy crap, my tulips are under two feet of snow! My ears are burning and I was only outside for a few minutes, how the heck do those chickens keep laying eggs?!!
    [​IMG]
    From my neighbors weather site!

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Wow! You're getting eggs?!?!?
    Even my PR's have closed shop!!

9. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Out of my EEgrs, the bantam I think is the one still laying, she had the olive egg and that's the one I get still almost everyday, and she doesn't have the nice warm built in scarf muff that the other ones have. Boy those EE with the muffs look warm. I get a white egg every couple days so one of the two brownleghorns is still laying. I have one welsummer, and she just started laying a month ago is laying almost every day! I still cant believe we have the gl polish laying now! No lights, no heat, these are going to be some hard core chickens! Half the eggs I get though are frozen and cracked by time I get them.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Beer can, the last couple of days of "unusual cold" here, my chickens had half buried the eggs in shavings in the next boxes. I had not seen that behavior since they were new-laying pullets. I wonder if that was some instinct to preserve them from freezing...or what?

From the weather charts you've been posting, I'd say for sure you got some hard core hearty chickens there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by