Dixie Chicks

Jem, I know you said this wasn't yours, but whoever it belongs has great craftsmanship skills!
Quote:
hugs.gif

what do you plant to help attract pollinators in your area?

Jem, I have two Manchurian Bush Apricots that I got when we first moved out to the country 14 years ago. The fruit is tiny and a disappointment and we've never eaten any. They bloom really early here and you can hear the bees humming around them when they are in flower so I leave them for the bees. I've never planted anything specifically to attract pollinators but see all types of things around the various flowers I have.

Last edited:
townline hatchery, not impressed. They were only in the mail on the 23 and delivered the 24. The next shipment was fine. I think they have something wrong with them.
what do you mean by 'something wrong with them"? Do they not look healthy?

Two of my chicks from Cackle last year got crooked backs.... I though that was pretty disappointing.

what do you plant to help attract pollinators in your area?
Which pollinators?

And, mostly, anything that makes pollen. Not kidding.

For example "florist" sunflowers have no pollen at all, but the sunflowers for seeds have lots of pollen and bees etc. love them. So, always check that the specific plant that you are buying will have pollen.

Up here the bees love dandilions, the first flower of spring.

Down in Texas the best plants for bees were verbena, and all of the Salvias. I had a heritage rose that the bees loved. Also native plants in general are good choices.

Hummingbirds like Salvia too, and adored the Mimosa trees.

For butterflies it depends on which butterflies you want... they loved the verbena for nectar, also milkweed and dill and fennel.

Jem, I know you said this wasn't yours, but whoever it belongs has great craftsmanship skills!

hugs.gif

Jem, I have two Manchurian Bush Apricots that I got when we first moved out to the country 14 years ago. The fruit is tiny and a disappointment and we've never eaten any. They bloom really early here and you can hear the bees humming around them when they are in flower so I leave them for the bees. I've never planted anything specifically to attract pollinators but see all types of things around the various flowers I have.

love.gif
lovely!

@tntchix didnt you have gold laced wyandottes from privett?
Yep, big and beautiful girls

townline hatchery, not impressed. They were only in the mail on the 23 and delivered the 24. The next shirt was fine. I think they have something wrong with them.
My original order was supposed to be from there, (TSC) but they never answered their phone so we went with someone else. Very inconsistent at that place.

Two of my chicks from Cackle last year got crooked backs.... I though that was pretty disappointing.

Which pollinators?

For example "florist" sunflowers have no pollen at all, but the sunflowers for seeds have lots of pollen and bees etc. love them. So, always check that the specific plant that you are buying will have pollen.

Down in Texas the best plants for bees were verbena, and all of the Salvias. I had a heritage rose that the bees loved. Also native plants in general are good choices.

For butterflies it depends on which butterflies you want... they loved the verbena for nectar, also milkweed and dill and fennel.
That explains why my front walk in TX was always busy with bees. No where else on the property was an issue. We started using the garage so as not to disturb them among the Salvias.

Which pollinators?

I have some salvia I over witnered in the greenhouse hadnt figured out where I wanna put it yet..........a friend got a buncha organic dill that was marked for contumption had the roots and everything attached so I planted it lol... I havent figured out where I want to put the fennel yet............ it's sucha unfriendly plant to many other plants......

I have a couple rose bushes I propagated last year that were from a plant that was planted by a friend of mines great grandmother... I wonder if that would be a heritage

Back
Top Bottom