Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    :jumpy

2. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

what do you plant to help attract pollinators in your area?

3. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    sorry, thats really crud when that happens

4. Amberjem

got nother double yoker today from dotty..been consistently getting two eggs a day now :) also I suspect violet is thinking about becoming broody

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I let my greens go to flower and they attract more pollinators you could imagine. Lettuce flowers, radish flowers, soup celery flowers....

6. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Jem, I know you said this wasn't yours, but whoever it belongs has great craftsmanship skills!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

what do you mean by 'something wrong with them"? Do they not look healthy?

Two of my chicks from Cackle last year got crooked backs.... I though that was pretty disappointing.

Which pollinators?

And, mostly, anything that makes pollen. Not kidding.

For example "florist" sunflowers have no pollen at all, but the sunflowers for seeds have lots of pollen and bees etc. love them. So, always check that the specific plant that you are buying will have pollen.

Up here the bees love dandilions, the first flower of spring.

Down in Texas the best plants for bees were verbena, and all of the Salvias. I had a heritage rose that the bees loved. Also native plants in general are good choices.

Hummingbirds like Salvia too, and adored the Mimosa trees.

For butterflies it depends on which butterflies you want... they loved the verbena for nectar, also milkweed and dill and fennel.

8. Amberjem

[​IMG] lovely!

9. Yep, big and beautiful girls

My original order was supposed to be from there, (TSC) but they never answered their phone so we went with someone else. Very inconsistent at that place.

That explains why my front walk in TX was always busy with bees. No where else on the property was an issue. We started using the garage so as not to disturb them among the Salvias.

10. Amberjem

I have some salvia I over witnered in the greenhouse hadnt figured out where I wanna put it yet..........a friend got a buncha organic dill that was marked for contumption had the roots and everything attached so I planted it lol... I havent figured out where I want to put the fennel yet............ it's sucha unfriendly plant to many other plants......

I have a couple rose bushes I propagated last year that were from a plant that was planted by a friend of mines great grandmother... I wonder if that would be a heritage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by