Dixie Chicks

My newest neighlor has said when they get their house built, he is getting 5 peafowl. :th

Maybe I'll get a pair of macaws. Too bad I can't get a kakapo. They are so cute and said to be the noisiest bird but nearly extinct.

You all have a great day! Busy one here.

Checking in, all is well with you?

My new 10 embden geese will be arriving Tuesday morning!! So excited!!

I put 7 duck eggs into the incubator but I doubt they'll be fertile. Too many girls for the boys. Still have to separate a breeding group.

In more good news, the partridge chantecler breeding duo gave me their first egg today. I'll be incubating them on a regular base to increase my flock.

We have peafowl in our neighborhood, and they're a nuisance. They are protected, so it's illegal to mess with them. They climb on the cars, and do some serious damage to the paint jobs, tear up the lawns, mess all over the porches, and yes, they are VERY noisy.

It's one thing to have roosters the neighbor complains about. That's on him. It's quite another thing to stir the pot by getting peafowl. That's just stirring the pot, and that's on you.

We have peafowl in our neighborhood, and they're a nuisance. They are protected, so it's illegal to mess with them. They climb on the cars, and do some serious damage to the paint jobs, tear up the lawns, mess all over the porches, and yes, they are VERY noisy.

It's one thing to have roosters the neighbor complains about. That's on him. It's quite another thing to stir the pot by getting peafowl. That's just stirring the pot, and that's on you.
why are they protected?

Quote:
Because our county is/has been classified as a bird sanctuary for over 50 years. That is the reason that they couldn't force homeowners to get rid of their existing chickens in Ybor City, in Tampa Florida, when they began trying to enforce the zoning laws, and the city had to pass laws allowing people to own hens, contrary to zoning. The only way to get rid of nuisance peafowl is to hire someone that is licensed to remove, and relocate them. The flip side is that people owning hens in the city can not cull them. They have to take them to a vet, and have them euthanized. Those living in the county outside the city limits have to be zoned agriculture to raise any form of livestock, including chickens, but are able to cull, and/or process their livestock.

Just so you know, birds also have the right of way on the roads too.

Sandhill Cranes, Flamingos, Ducks, all stop traffic quicker than a funeral procession.

They even have Sandhill crossing warning signs here.

That's interesting getaclue. Here in Canada there was a case where a car driver slammed on the breaks to avoid hitting a momma duck and her babies.
The car driver had a motorcyclist with his daughter on the back behind her. Unfortunately the motorcyclist slammed into the car abd they became a fatality.
I think just last year the car driver was held responsible for the death of the father and daughter with jail time, fines, license suspended, etc. Not quite man slaughter but irresponsible driving causkng death or something like that.

For the most part, just the opposite is true here. It is my responsibility to maintain a safe distance/speed when behind another vehicle in case they have to brake suddenly for an animal, a road hazard, an obstacle in the road, equipment failure, loss of control due to weather, etc.

For the most part, just the opposite is true here.  It is my responsibility to maintain a safe distance/speed when behind another vehicle in case they have to brake suddenly for an animal, a road hazard, an obstacle in the road, equipment failure, loss of control due to weather, etc. 

That is exactly what I thought, but apparently when she slammed on the breaks she became responsible for the ppl behind her.. Especially since the motorcyclist had no chance to see why. It wasn't a truck or a car.
And I guess once again human life trumps that of a family of animals.

Back
Top Bottom