Dixie Chicks

I have no idea what hatched out of what I thought was a Welsummer egg. It could be a white Marans with incredibly sucky color (speckled like a Welsummer egg can be). It blended in with the rest of the yellow chicks, so I have no idea which one it is. The white egg hatched an Andalusian. :celebrate Some buff Orps hatched. There's my two Welsummers and a New Hampshire Red. The rest I don't know because they blend in with the chicks from my eggs. I think there are some BRs and a lorp in there, but one of my hens is a lorp and the other is half, so who knows. I kinda have my hopes up that one of them is a Jersey Giant.
Let the fun of "guess the breed" begin!
I'll have to get a pic that includes all 17 chicks. Some of them are my own layer mutts.
my next foray working on two more Tree of life projects... Getting better again finding mistakes and noting them down. But am happy with the results even so. front... I didnt leave enough for a propper Bale... Can fix when I pick out a chian My wire wrapping is still in need of fine tuning.... but I am getting there. finally I wanted to share some samples I did for wire color. Practice included Duplicatablility. LOL the white one is actually silver.... left to right Dark blue ... Gold tone.... Tangerine.... Silver..... Fuchsia the manufacturer does them all with copper cores... Yay the color over the top is Enamel of some sort. Oh and they are about the size of a quarter. my butt hurts... I started two of these Tree of life pendants Kind of working out methodology and process so I can start several at a time and when someone wants one I just finish it out from a kit. The next one will be a green pendant deb
Those are pretty. :) Time for round 3. I ended up having to sub the Isabel Orps for CCL. I can't complain since I wanted some.

Last edited:
I have no idea what hatched out of what I thought was a Welsummer egg. It could be a white Marans with incredibly sucky color (speckled like a Welsummer egg can be). It blended in with the rest of the yellow chicks, so I have no idea which one it is. The white egg hatched an Andalusian. :celebrate  Some buff Orps hatched. There's my two Welsummers and a New Hampshire Red. The rest I don't know because they blend in with the chicks from my eggs. I think there are some BRs and a lorp in there, but one of my hens is a lorp and the other is half, so who knows. I kinda have my hopes up that one of them is a Jersey Giant.

You may already know this but to tell a australorp from a giant is the giant's will have yellow bottoms of feet, lorps have pinkish white bottoms of feet.

Had someone recently pm me on my avatar hoping my giant's were white australorps. I looked up pics, they sure do look alike.

The eggs were mine, so elevation shouldn't have been a factor. 2,000ish feet anyway. I'm thinking airflow. There is holes in the hova 1588, but I had a great hatch last yr removing the chicks as they hatched. I heard don't do that, drops humidity shrink wrap etc. This time I didn't open bator and bad hatch... IDK?

Raz,

In that photo all I could tell was the back left chick looks like a male barred/cuckoo.

Probably a barred rock. There are a few more that look like that.

I have no idea what hatched out of what I thought was a Welsummer egg. It could be a white Marans with incredibly sucky color (speckled like a Welsummer egg can be). It blended in with the rest of the yellow chicks, so I have no idea which one it is. The white egg hatched an Andalusian. :celebrate  Some buff Orps hatched. There's my two Welsummers and a New Hampshire Red. The rest I don't know because they blend in with the chicks from my eggs. I think there are some BRs and a lorp in there, but one of my hens is a lorp and the other is half, so who knows. I kinda have my hopes up that one of them is a Jersey Giant.

You may already know this but to tell a australorp from a giant is the giant's will have yellow bottoms of feet, lorps have pinkish white bottoms of feet.

Had someone recently pm me on my avatar hoping my giant's were white australorps. I looked up pics, they sure do look alike.

I do. My oldest hen is a Black Australorp. The chick in question looks identical to a BA aside from the yellow on its feet, but the yellow is so far up the feet I'm not sure it's actually a Jersey Giant or something else.

Looks like they sent me a random assortment of the eggs they hatch and not just what they offer for hatching eggs from specific breeds. The white Marans from a sucky colored egg is in fact a white Marans from a sucky colored egg. It has two little bits of fluff on one leg.

I still mostly have no idea what I have. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow when I clean the brooder.

The welsummers and the Andalusian make it worth it. The rest will like likely get sold off as I learn what they are. I probably have a few doms or brs in the bunch and I'm not really a fan. Not a fan of rocks in general.

Back
Top Bottom