DIY brooder for 30 chicks?

NikksChicks

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
Vashon, WA
Hi all!

We are nearly finished constructing the 12x8 coop, looking towards completing a 30x20 run, and feel like it’s a good time to think about ordering chicks! We are planning on 30 chicks (assuming some casualties will occur) and I’m trying to find DIY solutions for a brooder (or 2) that will get our chicks from day-old to coop-ready in the next several weeks.

Anyone have ideas, plans, pics for how they did it with about 20-30 chicks?

Thanks in advance!

I also just go to the local Ace hardware and ask if they have a big box. Cut hile in top for viewing, and door in side for adding water and feed.
20210501_093658.jpg

They stay in this for two weeks, then go out to coop along with there heat lamp (I reduce the bulb wattage until they are fully feathered ending with a 25 watt)
I start with about 50 layers of newspaper, the open end of the box is down. Change the paper by tilting the box and pulling 3 or 4 layers of paper out. Couple handfuls of pine shavings, and good for another day.
Dont like plastic totes because sometimes they offput strong plasticy fumes.
Dont like metal water troth. To expensive, hard to move around and clean out.
good luck with your chicks!

I much prefer heat plates to lamps for safety and temp control - but otherwise, any big box will do. If you plan on doing this frequently, you want plastic storage boxes. If its a one time deal and you can keep it out of the weather, cardboard is just fine.

For reference, I raise 12 in a 27 gal Commander XXL tote from Lowes (about $10-12 on special), every three weeks. Finally have a crack in the side of mine, still useful, may replace it next year. I line it with a plastic coated (empty) dog food bag - I have several - and simply swap them out to clean it. The bags can be washed and scrubbed of deposited foodstuff and droppings quite easily. For 30 birds, you likely want a tall side tote like used for storing holiday stuff or to build one, if your weather permits it and you have the other resources you need.

My box starts getting cramped around week two, if all 12 are successful hatches, week three otherwise - so I move my birds out to a grow out pen I built inside my barn. Its roughly 4.5' by about 16.5' with a 5' "wall" of netting. If I had power available, I would incubate and brood there year round. By next spring, that will be the case.

Last edited:
For 30 chicks I'd consider brooding them in 2 batches since 1) it may be hard to find a box big enough for all 30 and 2) this reduces risk of chicks being crushed to death.

Big cardboard boxes (melon crate from market, appliance boxes from appliance stores) would probably be the easiest, cheapest "big brooder" you could get.

We just use a cardboard box, cedar shavings, heat lamp, and food+water
Shouldn't use cedar shavings around chickens, and especially not chicks.

I use aged cedar chips in some quantity around chicks, however they're outdoors fro the very beginning and the chips are not aromatic at all.

I had a melon box 3x4 for 15 & they were starting to get a bit cramped at 4 weeks but prob could’ve lasted another week or two if it was imperative they needed to. If you got 2boxes, you could brood two groups for at least a month. I had a heat plate for mine which I turned off the last few days as it was 85 during the day & mid 60s at night & they were feathering by 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom