****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
Here is a thread which interested me initially for the build of the coop but then I saw his pvc feeder https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/710785/finished-my-coop-in-three-steps#post_9700747

Not sure why a Y was used cause as far as I can think there would be food sitting in the bottom of the Y forever after. But if a 90deg elbow was used with the same bit cut out of the screw in end cap then I could maybe see that working.

Cheers,
John

Reeeeeeee-cola!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Thanks guys - wanna guess what's going through my head now when I turn it around and tip it so I can fill the pipe?????

Have yall seen the version of this that has the pipe sitting in a dish/large end cap/bottom of a coffee can/etc? It's mounted to the back side of the dish so that it stays just off of the bottom. I tried that with the coffee can (plastic) but it sagged so bad from the weight of the feed that my feed scooper chicken had it empty in just a couple of hours.

Last edited:
I like the "J" design, I think I am going to take off the trough and see if this "J" works better for my girls. I can also think of a type of a lid to put on this "J" to keep out the mice at night, I'll just connect a stick to a lid and keep it inside the coop, accessible from the outside.

This is what I like about this site, the brainstorming gets those wheels turning. Now, if I only had some time and if it wouldn't get dark so early!

I think that will work good for you:)

I think the trick to keep them from scooping food out is to just make slots wide enough for their head and have the food an inch or so below the lip
I agree but would also add that the lip should be curved inward so that when they go to scoop it out the feed with go to that curve and slide back down to the bottom of the trough:) Do you know what I mean?

Here is a thread which interested me initially for the build of the coop but then I saw his pvc feeder https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/710785/finished-my-coop-in-three-steps#post_9700747

Not sure why a Y was used cause as far as I can think there would be food sitting in the bottom of the Y forever after. But if a 90deg elbow was used with the same bit cut out of the screw in end cap then I could maybe see that working.

Cheers,
John

I think both can work just fine. With the elbow you can adjust the trough very easy. That is a big benefit if your girls figure out a way to dump feed:) Keeps them on there toes so to speak;)

Last edited:
Reeeeeeee-cola!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Thanks guys - wanna guess what's going through my head now when I turn it around and tip it so I can fill the pipe?????

Have yall seen the version of this that has the pipe sitting in a dish/large end cap/bottom of a coffee can/etc? It's mounted to the back side of the dish so that it stays just off of the bottom. I tried that with the coffee can (plastic) but it sagged so bad from the weight of the feed that my feed scooper chicken had it empty in just a couple of hours.
I have not seen that one but I can picture it:) To me, I would think that my girls can poop in that to easy. They get poop in the craziest places!! The feeder pipe I did in my coop is mounted neck level so they can't poop in it and so they have a really hard time scooping feed out. It is also mounted in a way to where they cannot jump on the trough.

My goals was to make sure they can't poop in it ever and they can get the feed easy. If you guys want I can do a video that is more detailed:)

I think both can work just fine. With the elbow you can adjust the trough very easy. That is a big benefit if your girls figure out a way to dump feed:) Keeps them on there toes so to speak;)

OK, I did my own experimentation this morning with just an elbow and a 1/2 cut end cap but because I was only using 100mm pipe I think the girls would struggle to get their heads in there comfortably to eat. On the link that I sent I think he was using at least 150 or 225mm diameter size pipe which would make things much easier for them.

The other issue I had with just using an elbow was I don't think that the pellets would flow freely enough through to the end of the elbow for the girls to be able to reach it? I have an idea that if I use a 45deg junction inverted the pellets have to fall naturally into the bend and then I have another 45 deg bend to level it up again with the 1/2 cut end cap, I shall experiment more.

I can now see merit in the way that you're doing your set-up.

Cheers,
John

OK, I did my own experimentation this morning with just an elbow and a 1/2 cut end cap but because I was only using 100mm pipe I think the girls would struggle to get their heads in there comfortably to eat. On the link that I sent I think he was using at least 150 or 225mm diameter size pipe which would make things much easier for them.

The other issue I had with just using an elbow was I don't think that the pellets would flow freely enough through to the end of the elbow for the girls to be able to reach it? I have an idea that if I use a 45deg junction inverted the pellets have to fall naturally into the bend and then I have another 45 deg bend to level it up again with the 1/2 cut end cap, I shall experiment more.

I can now see merit in the way that you're doing your set-up.

Cheers,
John

As long as they can reach the bottom of the elbow with there beaks where the feed can get impacted It should not be an issue. If they are pecking at the base of the feed that gets stuck in the pipe, it will release.

Don't overthink it;)

Back
Top Bottom