DIY incubator ?

jahliciyaadaddy

Songster
7 Years
Aug 17, 2016
Shreveport - La
Any good suggestions on diy incubators an things that are needed ?

Attachments

• 6B00C50F-3BCA-4538-816F-2BAC9F063162.jpeg
    6B00C50F-3BCA-4538-816F-2BAC9F063162.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 91
There was a great thread about it a couple months back, but I didn't book mark it. I'll see if I can find it.

It is a lot of extra work. I think it is worth the money to buy it, unless you have a lot of time on your hands or are just one of those folks that love hacking stuff. 😄

There was a great thread about it a couple months back, but I didn't book mark it. I'll see if I can find it.

It is a lot of extra work. I think it is worth the money to buy it, unless you have a lot of time on your hands or are just one of those folks that love hacking stuff. 😄
I do , I love it lol an I been looking high an low but that picture that’s posted is a diy incubator I tried myself 🤣 but surprisingly my barred egg developed some veins and I also have some quail eggs in there an it’s kind of hard to tell if they’re doing anything because it’s hard to see inside of the quail eggs versus the chicken eggs and I truly appreciate you for commenting, seriously! ❤️

They tricky part is getting the heat and humidity to be consistent and controllable. That is the key to a successful hatch and chicks without issues.

I'll try looking again. I can't remember their username, but a woman from NY state had a pretty good setup and she was getting good results.

i built a homemade incubator this past spring. I have only run 2 clutches of eggs. The first time I used the same thermometer you have pictured. It was almost 2 degrees off. Of 12 eggs set. All 12 had some development but only one survived to hatch.

The second round I change to a govee thermometer and made a few adjustments. It might not have been a fair test because I did have a storm go through and lost power for several hours one day. But it still did a lot better the second time. I think 20 eggs made it to lockdown and 11 hatched out.

I’ll probably run another round next spring. My coop is now near maximum capacity so I’m not in a hurry to run another clutch.

Attachments

• 684224B4-1E10-45A2-9C48-7252008AEECD.jpeg
    684224B4-1E10-45A2-9C48-7252008AEECD.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 23
  • AA3794A4-CB57-449C-B3DD-1CA8FA993828.jpeg
    AA3794A4-CB57-449C-B3DD-1CA8FA993828.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 22
i built a homemade incubator this past spring. I have only run 2 clutches of eggs. The first time I used the same thermometer you have pictured. It was almost 2 degrees off. Of 12 eggs set. All 12 had some development but only one survived to hatch.

The second round I change to a govee thermometer and made a few adjustments. It might not have been a fair test because I did have a storm go through and lost power for several hours one day. But it still did a lot better the second time. I think 20 eggs made it to lockdown and 11 hatched

The second round I change to a govee thermometer and made a few adjustments. It might not have been a fair test because I did have a storm go through and lost power for several hours one day. But it still did a lot better the second time. I think 20 eggs made it to lockdown and 11 hatched out.

I’ll probably run another round next spring. My coop is now near maximum capacity so I’m not in a hurry to run another clutch.

This is amazing haha , I love it!! I never seen anything like it before haha I think I’m going to give this a try 🤣 thank you for sharing this with me! I love it!!

Back
Top Bottom