DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Here is an update on my rain-water collection system...I did a mock up of the piping system including shut offs and disconnecting couplings so I can take part of the system apart for cleaning or up keep..I also put a "T" in it adding a line to fill a bucket or draining of the system...The "trap" in the upper line is to keep bugs from entering that way as well as providing a overflow....Seems to be working pretty well and I will paint it all black when I am done and get the parts glued up but no leaks even without glue.

side view(Above) end view(Below)

I used an old Rubbermaid bin as a brooder for the first 4 - 5 weeks. After fumbling with cardboard boxes and wire racks as lids for the first week, I put together this simple frame with chicken wire and a piece of pine trim. Now I can see what they are doing and keep them from jumping out. It's also easier to position the brooder lamp according to their temp needs. This pic also shows the 65 cent funnels (Walmart automotive dept) I used to keep them off of the feeders.

This is the feeding system in my new coop. I attached a steel cable across the top and tightened it using a turn buckle (Lowes hardware). The feeders are attached with carabiners that slide back and forth for easy filling. As they get bigger/taller, I'll raise the feeders one chain link at a time. The funnels were <$1 at Walmart (auto dept) and make it impossible for them to perch on top. I also put eye hooks in the floor and used small bungie cords to keep the feeders from swinging when bumped.

This is working marvelously @ 6 weeks old, but the jury is still out on how it will work when they're fully grown!

One byproduct of my chicks is empty feed bags. I've been using them as planters for my vegetable garden (roll down tops, fill with soil, poke drain holes) and last summer grew lemon cucumbers and tomatillos in them. This year I plan container eggplant, peppers and carrots. I also have a couple of bentwood rocking chairs whose bottoms wore out. Since I am hopelessly aweful at caning, I used feed bags, cut them to size, used carpenters glue and staples to attach them to the chair bottoms. They are holding up great, are very comfortable and my husband loves the rustic look. Will try to get pictures to post.

Well I'm not sure it's an invention but I made a dust bath/play area for the chickens to keep them from messing up the vegetable garden. They love it, they spend like 1/2 the day in that corner now. I filled the brick area with dirt, sand, potting soil and a little DE. The tree is a dead fruit tree that was sitting in the side yard waiting to go out with bulk trash but I kept finding the chickens on it. I know people will sometimes hang heads of cabbage from the top of their run or coop so I plan to do things like that with the tree. I'll tie cabbage or corn cobs from the top branch to make treat time a little more interesting.

I finished part of my chicken tunnel project, today. (Chunnels?) I'm so excited! I have another 35 or 40 feet to build and then just set up the "portable paddock" in the front yard and they can "cheap range" (because they are not really FREE.) The ones I finished today go to the chicken tractor that is set up over a spot that was crawling with grasshoppers, last year. When finished, they'll exit the tractor at the other end and go on into the front yard.

I wanted to share my low feed alert system. I built several of the pvc feeders for my pens but wanted an easy way to see when they started getting low on feed. I tied a "flag" on one end of a long string, drilled a hole into the feeder and fed that string through and tied a weight on the end that is inside the feeder. The weight sits on top of the feed and as the feed level drops, the weight also drops and pulls the string. When the "flag" gets near the top of the feeder I know it is time to add feed. It enables me to know what the feed level is without going into each pen. I need to fashion something similar for the waterers. Anyway, I am proud of it and it was really easy to do. It could be added to most DIY feeders.

I built a roof on my coop that can be opened, as an alternative to having shade trees.

20190528_090407.jpg

20190528_090422.jpg

This may be old technology (I’m new here) but I made these holders for the chick sized water and feeder since I got tired of them being knocked over. It’s just a u-shaped piece of plywood’s with a hinged wire - works great so far. They will be replaced with bigger capacity ones once I move the chicks out of their temporary coop.

Attachments

• 44809FBA-D26B-468B-868B-492DEA9B021F.jpeg
    44809FBA-D26B-468B-868B-492DEA9B021F.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom