Dk RI. Reds vs RI. Reds vs Dark RI.Reds

HappyMtn-

I don't think there nasty.. They will test each other but my wife's little Silkie does that...
I keep my Reds in breeding pens most of the time 1 rooster to 4 or 5 hens per pen and I have no problems.

Now the cockerels and pullets free range for the most part and you will see the cockerels out there testing each other but it not bad, now as for the pullets there not bad at all..

I would say out of the 10 breeds I have/breed the RIR to be my favorite..

Chris

Quote:
Did you get birds direct from Dennis?

Yup.. Right about the time when he was getting out of the Large Fowl RIR's..

Well Thanks for all the replys on DK RIR VS RI RED VS NH REDS

Again Thanks for posting -lots of good information.

Alan

Hatchery RIR's and the dark red RIR's are still the same breed. Just because hatcheries don't have show standard birds, doesn't mean they aren't RIR's. But production reds on the other hand, are usually a mix between RIR's and NHR's, I believe. Usually these 'production this' and 'production that' birds are not purebred. Just mixes of the best layers.

I like an RIR that is a bit between the hatchery look and the show look. I like the mahogany color, but when it looks almost black, I don't care for it much (at least not on the roos, hens are okay). I also like the big birds, and eggs are my main priority. Guess you can't always get what you want
tongue.png
But I would love to have some more RIR's regardless. Maybe a few hatchery ones and some of the deep mahoganies. Then I'll be happy
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree that there are two different lines of RIR's but there are also other production versions of Hatchery type RIR production strains.

Some are a cross between RIR's and New Hampshires as this cross is done to get the hybrid type vigor in these layers just the same as is used in producing a sex-linked egg layer with the exception of the chicks being sexable by color at hatch.

One hatchery that advertises this cross is Ideal, heres what they say their version of a Production red is: Production reds are a brown egglayer that was developed for efficient production of largr brown eggs. Crosses utilizing Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires were used in the developement of this breed, ect........

You can go on their site and read it.

Now with that being said I know for a fact that some hatchery stock Production reds are a mixture because I've rebred these types of chickens and they don't breed true, Some are dark like the parent stock, some are the more "orangey color" like New Hampshire(most of the time these are male) and some are mutliple shades of red in their plummage (dark red and lighter red all combined).

Theres an earlier posted thread on here on this topic I'll go find it and post it here later.

catdaddy

I've never had breeder RIRs but I've had production reds for many years.

I think there is a lot of variation with behavior with the production reds. My hens were very nice and laid-back and my roo was the nicest roo I ever had - always nice to people and to the girls.

I like the color of the breeder RIRs but I sure liked my production reds - great layers too. My production reds always bred true.

Back
Top Bottom