Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Pics
There are almost certainly some puppies in a litter that are "better" (for show purposes) than others. The "better" ones may cost more than the other ones, even if all are equally healthy. Differences could be in color, markings, whether the ears stand or flop right, whether the puppy is likely to mature a little bit larger or smaller than ideal, and so forth. Even gender could affect price sometimes, if there's a mis-match between what buyers want and what puppies are born.

eh, I don't really agree. If a breeder is charging more based on gender I'd be a little bit concerned. I'm OK with the breeder charging more for dogs who are show quality. there is usually only one or two dogs per litter who is good enough to be in the show ring

if a breeder is charging more for a boy, because somebody wants a boy, they are just looking for a way to make more money.

eh, I don't really agree. If a breeder is charging more based on gender I'd be a little bit concerned. I'm OK with the breeder charging more for dogs who are show quality. there is usually only one or two dogs per litter who is good enough to be in the show ring

if a breeder is charging more for a boy, because somebody wants a boy, they are just looking for a way to make more money.

I was assuming they might have buyers already reserved for 6 of each gender, and then the litter had 8 of one. So they might sell one or two a bit cheaper because they got stuck with too many.

reputable breeders usually have super long wait lists. Id be very concerned if a breeder had extra puppies often.
I think that NatJ means that out of a litter of 12 puppies that are all reserved, there were two people that get slightly discounted puppies because they're the 'wrong' gender, with there being extras of a gender within a litter, not extra puppies to be sold.

Back
Top Bottom