Do all chickens usually die with air sacculitus??

Kill everything that gets sick (pox, worms, cocci are exceptions).

Never breed from birds that have been sick and get better (they should have been killed anyway).

Preventive meds are the only way to go.

If you want strong healthy birds in the future then cull any weakness along the way and eventually you'll get to where you need to be.

Kill everything that gets sick (pox, worms, cocci are exceptions).

Never breed from birds that have been sick and get better (they should have been killed anyway).

Preventive meds are the only way to go.

If you want strong healthy birds in the future then cull any weakness along the way and eventually you'll get to where you need to be.
Everyone has their opinion and many choose to treat their birds. Not all are willing to kill their pets,myself included.

This is true. It is also why we now see dogs with all types of breed specific problems for example. Yes, it is my opinion. It is also a fact.

I've been raising hundreds of chickens for many, many years. I am trying to help folks build a strong healthy flock. Be they pet owners or otherwise, I thought that was part of the goal.

Last edited:
By the way, I have hens that are 12 years old and still laying. I have had cocks that made it to near 15 years old.

That is result of preventive medications, good food, fresh air/sunshine, clean water with bleach, and regular worming/dusting. Oh, it is also the major result of constant culling through the years.

I only time i would consider ending the life of an animal is if suffering is involved,but again we are all entitled to our own opinions and i am firm on mine.

I too have many older pets,birds included,never had any medical reasons to cull and never have.

Usually when a question is asked on the emergency forum,the op is looking for help,not replies to cull.

I only time i would consider ending the life of an animal is if suffering is involved,but again we are all entitled to our own opinions and i am firm on mine.

I too have many older pets,birds included,never had any medical reasons to cull and never have.

Usually when a question is asked on the emergency forum,the op is looking for help,not replies to cull.
You are most likely correct in that last sentence. However, there are those of us that care so much about our birds and the breeds we deal with that we try to consistently be present with the advice to cull so that it is not forgotten or set to the side as if it is old and backward advice; when in fact it is the best up-to-date advice that can be given.

I do not mean to argue the point. I simply want to point out a time tested truth for improving the health and vigor of a flock.

Last edited:
I can assure you that those that choose to treat their birds are just as concerned about their birds and the breed.

You have to keep in mind the emotional attachment that people form to their pets,and culling is not even a choice for many. Most are looking for help in dealing with medical issues and are already emotionally stressed enough,without suggestions to cull their pet.

While i do understand where you are coming from,the emotional bond people form with their pets is very strong,and should to be kept in mind when replying to any post asking for help.

Back
Top Bottom