Do chicken eggs sell?

woot.gif

I had been selling my eggs locally to a few friends but my chickens are currently not laying much as I gave them the winter off. I haven't had much trouble selling them when I have them. Selling for $5 per dozen which probably doesn't break even for me but I haven't tracked it. California has now instituted some extra rules if you sell eggs commercially and I don't know what they are. If you are just selling a few eggs to friends, I wouldn't worry about it.

We've got 17 hens, and have been getting 6-8 eggs a day on average through the winter. I've got a waiting list for eggs. I don't advertise at all, but it spreads through word of mouth. People hear we've got chickens, and then they want eggs! I'm fairly active in the local community though. I've got one customer who will take 4 dozen a week if we've got them. I sell the eggs for $3 a dozen, about what they cost at the supermarket for commercial eggs. I don't really expect to turn a profit. I put the egg $$ in our family fun jar since we all take care of the chickens. When my fridge is getting full of eggs, I just put a post on Facebook that I've got eggs and they are usually claimed within an hour or so.

Hope that helps!

I just sell to my friends and neighbors (I have 10 layers). In the winter, there are times when I will sell them just a 1/2 dozen - they are so desperate for fresh eggs that they will take what they can get. In my area, it is pretty easy to get farm-grown eggs at the local markets, but I charge $5/dozen (kind of mid-range for fresh eggs), buy non-GMO organic feed and, if I count the eggs we eat, too (that I would normally be buying), we definitely more than break even (counting bedding, treats, feed, etc.). I would do it anyway, just for my own eggs and the joy of the chickens...but it works out pretty well, just through word-of-mouth. I could sell more if I wanted to increase the size of my flock...but I have a day job and live in the city, so I think it might get to be a bit much!

I actually have a friend that wants Pullet eggs! He remembers having them growing up and misses those early eggs.

Never throw out "extra" eggs. At the very least, hard boil them, chop them up finely shells and all and feed them back to your girls. It's a great source of protein and calcium for them.

I have only one person that wants 5 dozen eggs per week from me. I currently have 11 just coming into their first laying year and I'm getting 7 more this spring. I figure from 11 chickens I will get 8 eggs per day. That's 7 dozen per week so I'll need more just to supply this one person and my family only! You need to, at the least, be the same price as the store eggs. Don't plan on turning a profit as much as paying for your enjoyable hobby!

At my famers markets last year, farm fresh eggs were going for as much as 6/doz. And many times, by 10am, they were sold out. My local community has requirements for egg tags to sell. You may want to check your local health department and see if there are any requirements/fees/licenses that you may need.

i got 8 production red pullets 24 weeks old today they started laying at 19 weeks old last week i had 53 eggs not bad. in new orleans area brown eggs are selling at 4.29 a dozen.

Istarted selling eggs this fall Ihave 27 hens, get 15 - 2O eggs a day Had a nice sign made put fresh brown eggs on both sides I sell mine for 2.50 doz for that's cheap for free range chickins Had to take my sign down , can't keep up with orders Don't be greddy they pay for all their food , supplys plus my 4 mini horses , just a hobby not trying get ritch Good luck !

Other details:
- I live in Littlerock, CA
- 1 dz of brown large eggs cost $6+ at my local grocers.
- 1 acre land
- Nearly no one sells eggs. I've looked on Craigslist and the only eggs are in Palmdale. (City over)
- Don't worry saying it's too much work (I looooovveeee chickens so it's not a problem)

We live in California and have no problem selling our eggs. We keep anywhere from 60-80 chickens a year and production never meets demand. We have people on a waiting list.

Few things you should know;

• Hens only lay real consistently for 2-3 years. After that they'll either be pets or dinner.

• If you have an aversion to eating mature hens, but still want to raise hens for eggs then your flock will grow exponentially, as will the feed bill.

• Older hens do taste excellent if properly prepared. Crockpot or steeped with vegetables until tender, then use meat shredded or chopped. Stock is excellent.
Do not expect the meat to look or taste like grocery store chicken.

• With the small flock you're thinking about, you won't be making any money. Be lucky to break even on feed costs.

Back
Top Bottom