Do chicken eggs sell?

Do you tell people that they are potentially fertilized since you have a rooster? There are people here on BYC that buy eggs from the grocery store and incubate and hatch them!!
th.gif
I do tell them and sometimes they ask. At that point, I explain how the chicken egg development process works, and that since I collect my eggs everyday and put them in the refrigerator, that it would be virtually impossible to get a chick in one of their eggs :).

At what age did your hens start laying? I have 6 production reds but I only get 1 egg every 2 days. They are 5 months old.
I bought mine on June 29th and they arrived two days later, so they were three days old. July, August, Sept. and October, they ate and grew. I started getting eggs in November and all of them were pretty much laying by January. Of course, my assortment was advertised as an "egg laying" assortment, so most of them were genetically predisposed to start laying early and to pick up quickly. My reds give me about 5 eggs a week.

It's been 8 years since I bought my cartons so I don't remember exactly who I brought from. However, I ran a quick search and came up with these two vendors whose prices are reasonable. I prefer a recycled pulp carton that will compost nicely. You can see that you can buy all kinds of elaborate cartons, but do you want to look "commercial?"
I don't. I bought the custom stamp from Staples. They make gorgeous business cards, too, should you ever need any.
Regarding stamping the boxes: put a piece of wood or something to brace the back of the carton top. That way, you'll get a nice clean stamp and be sure if you buy the jumbo cartons that are more form fitted and have the holes down the center, that your stamp is narrow enough to fit on one side. Knowing what I know now, I'd wait until the cartons arrive and then take a couple down to Staples and let them figure it out. They were incredibly helpful.

Cheapeggcartons.com

http://cheapeggcartons.com/products/12ct-pillo-post-blank-egg-box-free-shipping

NDg5QTM0OUE0NjlCRDMxNEJDRTE6NzNlYzQ1ODcwMDdmYjYwODRhMmRjZDg5NDM0NWYzYTk6Ojo6OjA=

12ct. Pillo Post Blank Egg Box FREE SHIPPING

$36.00 for 75, 47,50 for $125.00

ZELLWIN FARMS COMPANY

http://www.zellwin.com/category_s/52.htm

You can get 80 of these jumbos for $40.00

clear1x1.gif

clear1x1.gif

clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

12ct Blank Jumbo Egg Cartons

Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

clear1x1.gif

Carton holds 12 super jumbo chicken eggs or duck eggs up to 100 grams. They are made from recycled, molded fibers. There is no print on these blank egg cartons so you can easily personalize them with your own label. All our egg cartons include free shipping to the contiguous United States!

clear1x1.gif

clear1x1.gif

I have absolutely no trouble selling my extra eggs two neighbors, friends, people at work etc. And that is even with a lot of people having chickens around here. I sell mine for four dollars a dozen because that is about what they are at the grocery store. May be a little higher.
I'm not doing it to make money, I just use the money I make to go back towards buying their feed. The chickens are my pets and the eggs are a great bonus.

I was having so much fun reading.

Gamefowl, you'll do fine... I only have 6 girls and only 4 are laying I might finally have enough eggs to start providing my mom's house. But once the other 2 start I know we will be a tad over our needs. Believe it or not we already have people lining up for eggs. And I'm not talking about just anyone people asking about eggs, these people are asking how much when will they be ready how often can they get eggs.

I live in a subdivision and our county laws only allow 6 back yard hens, so I'll never really have a surplus but when I do I know I can get at least a few $ back for all my work.

It's worth the effort, but start small go with what you have and see how things go. Then add more chickens once you have a base line. From what I've found for CA you don't have to do anything special to sell them "private" from your door step and in some cases if you sell them to a feed store, but if you want to ship, or sell at the farmers market them your "commercial" and would need to look into requirments. Remember posting online adds might put you in the "commercial" selling too

Last edited:
I'm averaging around 7 per day, but I think that will go up as the days get longer. During December it was around 4 a day.

Hi! where in FL. do you live? I live in Tampa Bay area and would like to find somebody in my area that makes chicken feed.

Hi! where in FL. do you live? I live in Tampa Bay area and would like to find somebody in my area that makes chicken feed.
Hi Althea,

If you are referring to me, I live in Molino, a small town just North of Pensacola on US Highway 29. I get my feed from the feedstore just 1/2 a mile from the house, so it's convenient!

Back
Top Bottom