Do chicken's have seizures?

truechick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Garden City, MO
One of my hens is siting on the ground and looking at me with her head upside down and twisting it around. It kind of reminds me of a parrot being curious.
An old timer at the feed store said it was range paralisis.
Is there anything I can do or is she done for?
She is eating and drinking. I separated her because she was being picked on.
Thanks for your input.

Range paralysis is Mareks diease, but no as common is grown hens. She could have a vitamin def. or she could have worms or bad lice making her weak and causing her head tilt. Separate her from the others with some shallow food & water. Check her all over and make sure she has no mites/lice then give her some vitamins and see how she does.

hello,
ive lost three now to diffrent paralysis, one the legs, one the wings and one with the same head you describe. all were young, this yrs babies, the first seemed to recover in the house, but died the other day.
i think heat and support is all but the vet ya can do,
silkymom

Thank you for you replys. She is still about the same today. I did the food and water thing before I posted yesterday I'll go look her over now.

What breed is it? I have heard of silkies with vaulted skulls suffering neurological problems from head injuries/bumps (heard from several breeders).

I am dealing with my 3 month old BO that has Wry neck. I've only learned about it on this site. So far the only thing that has seemed to work is vitamin E 2x's daily along with B12 and Poly Vi-Sol without iron. She will only eat oatmeal. She laid for two days and did not get up or eat or drink. She is just now standing and eating. I will watch your post to see if your chicks gets better.

Since she was laying, could also be Calcium def. Try giving the vitamins stated by everyone for 2 weeks, it normally takes that long to kick in. Try giving scrambled eggs. it helps keep their weight and energy up and easier for them to grab. Also warm mushy canned dog food. Best Wishes

Back
Top Bottom