Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Well, no a Woods is a Woods, very specific...
...what 'works for a person' might not be a true Woods.

Yes, I understand that 100% but on the other hand one might try/have to emulate 'woods' and that's ok in my book. I'm not talking about my previous answer to our member in particular, I'm talking about a situation in general.
Actually IN the woods and a woods setting are different, I know that too, but do the chickens care if they're romping around in loads of leaves???

I built an 8 x 16 enclosed run. I spent over 1k. It has just become a place for the birds to gather at the door, before I let them out for the day. My girls don't want anything but to roam outside. I did lose my Spangled Butcher stag to a Red Tail on Christmas. RIP Mo.
During a snow they go under the big shed, but this is my first year with birds and not much snow yet. Now that egg laying has started, I may have to seal it up. My dog brought me two eggs from under the shed this morning, lol, unbroken.
The run's future use will probably be as a separation pen for juvenile chickens or guineas during the warmer months.
I don't know that I even need a run with my style of keeping and the area I live in. A big coop and the great outdoors may do just fine.

Yes, I understand that 100% but on the other hand one might try/have to emulate 'woods' and that's ok in my book. I'm not talking about my previous answer to our member in particular, I'm talking about a situation in general.
Actually IN the woods and a woods setting are different, I know that too, but do the chickens care if they're romping around in loads of leaves???
I was only speaking to the 'Woods Coop' design.

I built an 8 x 16 enclosed run. I spent over 1k. It has just become a place for the birds to gather at the door, before I let them out for the day. My girls don't want anything but to roam outside. I did lose my Spangled Butcher stag to a Red Tail on Christmas. RIP Mo.
During a snow they go under the big shed, but this is my first year with birds and not much snow yet. Now that egg laying has started, I may have to seal it up. My dog brought me two eggs from under the shed this morning, lol, unbroken.
The run's future use will probably be as a separation pen for juvenile chickens or guineas during the warmer months.
I don't know that I even need a run with my style of keeping and the area I live in. A big coop and the great outdoors may do just fine.

RIP Mo. That's so sad. I do envy you being able to let your flock roam. Unfortunately, I just can't risk it with mine. It's my first year too and I'm just thankful they haven't had the snow we normally have! My coop is placed out in the farmyard and just 100 yards from our big century old barn that homes a variety of chicken killers of both aerial and ground variety!! I lost a beautiful roo last year. He only had one eye and roosted in a tree every night. A raccoon plucked him right out of it! Now the flock are in their 10x16 totally enclosed run attached to a repurposed 10x10x6 dog kennel. I would dearly love to have them next to the farmhouse which has an enclosed yard, trees, hedgerows and shrubs, but I have beagles that would make a meal of them.
Yesterday I pulled out my .22 LR and started target practice.... Ready for raccoon season. Or coyote, of which we have many packs in our fields.
:confused:

RIP Mo. That's so sad. I do envy you being able to let your flock roam. Unfortunately, I just can't risk it with mine. It's my first year too and I'm just thankful they haven't had the snow we normally have! My coop is placed out in the farmyard and just 100 yards from our big century old barn that homes a variety of chicken killers of both aerial and ground variety!! I lost a beautiful roo last year. He only had one eye and roosted in a tree every night. A raccoon plucked him right out of it! Now the flock are in their 10x16 totally enclosed run attached to a repurposed 10x10x6 dog kennel. I would dearly love to have them next to the farmhouse which has an enclosed yard, trees, hedgerows and shrubs, but I have beagles that would make a meal of them.
Yesterday I pulled out my .22 LR and started target practice.... Ready for raccoon season. Or coyote, of which we have many packs in our fields.
:confused:
Thanks, Mo was a cutie. Sorry to hear about your roo. I struggled to get 2 of my games to roost in the coop. I got them at 6 months. Once the early cold snap came this year, they have gone in every night since. We do have predators all around the area. You can hear the coyotes yipping nearby at night, but they don't come near the houses. Quite a few owls hang out behind the house during mating season, but seem to prefer hunting the nearby fields. I haven't seen any foxes or raccoons around the property, yet. A black snake did stalk my birds for awhile, but he lived in the coop before the birds. There are a lot of barking neighbor dogs nearby, and several other flocks. I have two large dogs that are used to the birds, but I need to get the property fenced before I leave them out full time. I'm thinking of going with a predator proof electric fence with 8 wires alternating ground and hot. I only have 2.5 acres to deal with.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mo was a cutie. Sorry to hear about your roo. I struggled to get 2 of my games to roost in the coop. I got them at 6 months. Once the early cold snap came this year, they have gone in every night since. We do have predators all around the area. You can hear the coyotes yipping nearby at night, but they don't come near the houses. Quite a few owls hang out behind the house during mating season, but seem to prefer hunting the nearby fields. I haven't seen any foxes or raccoons around the property, yet. A black snake did stalk my birds for awhile, but he lived in the coop before the birds. There are a lot of barking neighbor dogs nearby, and several other flocks. I have two large dogs that are used to the birds, but I need to get the property fenced before I leave them out full time. I'm thinking of going with a predator proof electric fence with 8 wires alternating ground and hot. I only have 2.5 acres to deal with.

The farm within a mile of ours has dogs that usually come across and get into the horses pastures! :mad:
I know they chase his chickens, so mine would be gone in a heartbeat. I could do an extension of our run with a setup similar to the one you're describing, plus I'll have to clip a wing on all but the silver laced Wyandotte. But still. We have great horned owls that stalk the barn cats as well as sit and watch the dogs at night.
Oh my life! Snakes!! *shudder* I couldn't cope with that too. :th
Guess mine will stay captive until I figure something out.
I miss that little roo terribly. We adopted each other when he came over from the neighbors farm and never went back. Neighbor was good with that btw. I wish I'd protected him better.
7F42DD06-4570-46E1-9600-85C7B39EE80C.png
I don't know what breed he was, just know that he was awesome. I called him 'Roo'
It was through losing him I went in search for another and ended up with a roo and five hens!!!

Back
Top Bottom