Do chickens sneeze every once in a while?

I had a chick that liked to dunk her beak/face in the water, then she'd sneeze like crazy. She finally quit doing it after a week or so, and now they all just sneeze on occasion. No runny noses or any other symptoms (I kept a close watch) so I decided to quit worrying about it.
smile.png
Easier said than done, I know! I often have a lot of trouble with allergies, so I am not surprised that my chickens might have some trouble, too.
smile.png

Allergic . . . chickens . . .
Somehow I find that odd.

True, Zeal and Meep don't have any other symptoms. I'd think they're getting water up their nose except for the fact that they don't sneeze right after they drink. They wipe their beaks right after they drink water, but not any other time.

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought chicken snot was the result of choking your chicken too much.

Carl in CT
Help My Wife and I Walk All Over Breast Cancer
http://www.the3day.org/goto/ceb364
Tampa Bay October 30 - November 1, 2009

Edited to remove namecalling and inappropriate reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine sneeze when pecking at wet grass, when dunking their heads too far under a newly-filled water trough by accident, when eating any kind of sticky food, and sometimes just for the hell of it!

I used to worry, especially when one of them did come down with mycoplasma (she was fine after antibiotics, and the symptoms of that were much more marked than simple sneezing, by the way), but now I just think of the odd sneeze here and there as normal chicken behaviour.

Bless them - we worry about our little darlings so much don't we?!
smile.png

Thanks - it was reassuring to read these posts! I have been uncertain about the sneezing that two of my six (both barred rocks) seem to do on occasion... they don't have any nasal discharge, don't seem listless or sick (they race around the yard all day!) but I worried to think they might have something I was overlooking. As long as they continue active and noisy (yes, they are scoldy hens), I will just keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom