Do chickens stop laying in the heat?

Only my two sex-links are laying. My others are doing very poorly. You can see my separate related topic under the post "No eggs?" in this forum. Weather was a little cooler last couple days, and still my other hens have not started laying again. Other than the sex-links, which are on another property, my 6 layers have given me 2 eggs in the last 6 days. My boss has 4 BO pullets that are old enough to start laying, and haven't yet.

It's 97 here at 10:00 pm. All I can say is: poor hot chickens!
sad.png

SM- So you are saying if I don't give scratch in the evenings which is their treats then they will get back to laying? Other than that my hens only get their feed. I have 6 buffs that started laying 3 weeks ago, but they are little eggs. I am hoping they start laying bigger ones soon. I love them and they are calmer than my RIR's, and would get more next spring if they give me nice eggs.

Some times you have to alter their treats depending on what the weather is like.. in the heat say of 101 - 110 I would only give fruit as treats something I could keep in the fridge and something that would rehydrate them. Then later give them scratch again when it cools off .......just change a little and see if they go back to laying again.

I have Jersey Giants, Barred Rocks, & Australorp and they all stopped laying about 2 weeks ago when the heat index was over 100. They have now started back laying as is they are making up for lost time.
big_smile.png

Some times I think about the old days back when people didn't give treats to their chickens, back in the pioneer days when people really relied on their chickens for a meal.
I like to think they let their chickens go natural instead of adding all this stuff to their diets farmers had to figure out for them self what did and didn't work.
Thats pretty much what you have to decide and experiment for your self cause with all of us living in different areas of the world our conditions are so different, not to mention each chicken has a mind of their own.

Do what feels right and what gets you the best results .....

Mine pretty much stopped laying when it got hot, but I also introduced chicks since then and I get 2 and 3 eggs a week from 4 hens, I say they at least slow down...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom