Do Chicks Hatch ON Day 21 or after?

If temps were perfect throughout, they should hatch right around the end of 21 days of incubation. If temps are a little low they may hatch a day or two late. If a little high, a day or two early.

It's an estimate, a close one, but an estimate. They can hatch on Day 19 or 20 or even a few days later. I don't allow mine to stay in the bator past Day 23 and even then, I candle to make sure there is a live chick in there if one hasn't hatched by Day 22. Don't like late hatchers. Most of the time, they have issues if they can't hatch by Day 22.

I'm taking some out of the turner later today, on Day 17. Day 18 starts sometime tonight, but I'm getting them in the hatcher just before the beginning of Day 18. Could take them out at the end of Day 18 or beginning of 19 and it wouldn't make much difference.

Quote:
Yup, they sure do. Usually on their first incubation. And maybe on their second too. I know I did. I got my knickers in a right old knot over how exactly to count the days and what day I was on and what time to stop turning. LOL! I'm a lot more relaxed about it now and my hatch rates haven't come down any.

I think it's just cause there's SO much information on here, first time hatchers find it hard to figure out what's essential and what has to be absolutely precise and what's just a general average. Again, I know that was the case with me. And even with all the good info in the world here on BYC, there's no substitute for a bit of experience.

Set mine at 7:00 pm on 1/06, getting ready for "lockdown" tonight. Going to fill up the both sides of my Brinsea Mini Advance water reservoir to get the humidity up for hatching. Taking out the egg turner and putting down some paper towels underneath the eggs. Will not open the incubator again until hatch completed.

Anything this first timer forgot?

PS. Already have my brooder set up, have checked the temp (@ 95 F) under the lamp, cooler outside the direct light. I am hoping they have enough instincts to move in and out of the bulbs direct heat as needed.

I've read and always gone by if you set them after Noon then the next day is day 1. I've never had them hatch on time though.. maybe day 20, 21, and 22. Lately its been day 19, and 20. (temps fluxuated on the higher end.)

welcome-byc.gif

They can hatch on day 21, 22, 23, 24 or even later. It depends on a lot of variables. My first hatch was late due to suspected low temperatures in the bator. What day are you on?

Call me crazy but I don't think chicks can tell time. I never understood why put a time. Do some actually went to take turner out at that exact time?

Back
Top Bottom