Do doves HAVE to be caged??

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I often see some very pretty doves at our local auction. I'd like to get some, but I don't know much about doves. Do they have to be caged/penned, or can they free fly? Can they be outside all the time (I've got buttons in the house, I doubt my dad would go for doves!). Any other info would be great!
smile.png

Doves should be maintained in a cage or pen of some type (they do well in flight pens.) They can not be allowed to free loft or fly at will. They will become dinner for the sharpshins or Coopers.

Can they stay outside year-round in southern KY? Any other info you can give me on them? How can you tell which are males and females?

Yep! Mine are outdoor pets all year. As long as they can get out of cold drafts in the winter time, and wide perches so they can sit on their feet to warm them, then they will be fine.
Males are much more vocal. They chase the hens while cooing and bowing. Both can make the strange 'laughing' sounds, but the males typically do it more.

I used to have common doves indoors, they are nice pets, relatively trouble free. They just need a decent sized cage, something appropriate for a cockatiel is OK, but a parrot sized cage is better so they can get some exercise. If they tame down, which can be done with a little work, you an let them out for a little supervised exercise in a closed room.

Diamond doves are a nice compromise. A lot smaller than regular domestic doves, very pretty, vocal with a pretty "coo" but they pretty much MUST be kept indoors from what I've read except in the mildest climates. I've got four of them now, but only got them about a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom