Do drakes prefer to mate with their own breed?

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Obviously a lot depends on the duck, but will a drake, given the choice, favor his own breed over others? We’ve got quite a mixed flock, and our largest Pekin hen has laid claim to our Pekin drake, I wonder if he will favor the Pekin hens in terms of mating.. I rather hope so, however we have 7 hens so I hope no one gets too worn out.

Obviously a lot depends on the duck, but will a drake, given the choice, favor his own breed over others? We’ve got quite a mixed flock, and our largest Pekin hen has laid claim to our Pekin drake, I wonder if he will favor the Pekin hens in terms of mating.. I rather hope so, however we have 7 hens so I hope no one gets too worn out.

No, besides size, drakes are not going to care if the duck looks different. When I talk size, I'm not referring to a Rouen and a Pekin, more like a Pekin and call per se. Not saying a Pekin won't try to mate with a Call, but they'll first try a duck their size.

No, besides size, drakes are not going to care if the duck looks different. When I talk size, I'm not referring to a Rouen and a Pekin, more like a Pekin and call per se. Not saying a Pekin won't try to mate with a Call, but they'll first try a duck their size.

Interesting, I seem to have gravitated to short girls myself... seems Winston and I may differ in taste 🤔
Would you say that in my mixed flock including runners that apart from more appealing choices, that the solution will be in the dilution?

i saw on your other thread you have pekins and rouens, do the pekin drakes get along well with the rouen hens? i’m hoping mine do 🤞

When the time is right size wont be an issue, Winston will be like a Fat Kid in a candy store and want to sample everything 2 or 3 times first. :lau

Back
Top Bottom