Do hens ever shuffle dance as chicks?

akitafriendakita

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
I have a 6-week old silkie, I'm obviously very positive it's a rooster because he fights a little more than others but he has never crowed and silkies are quite slow to develop.

I did see him do a little shuffle dance recently though after I changed out their food and the chicks all got excited to come get their first bite, he seemed to be trying to intimidate the rest of the chicks obviously by shuffling. Rooster-only behavior or is it possible for hens to do this as chicks? Thanks!

I personally have never seen a female do the wing dance. Must of been a bit adorable to see.
It was very cute, I had no idea they could dance that young honestly! He seems to be my toughest little rooster in my batch of chicks.

I have seen your username around btw! I was searching my own town's name to see if anyone had chickens near me and your name popped up a lot while searching.

Basically, we're neighbors (I live a few miles from the Rudolph cheese factory) if you're looking for some roosters or chicken swapping in the future. I have too many little bantam rooster chicks right now that I need to rehome before they are sexually mature (silkies and porcelain d'uccles.) 🐤

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. I'm always overrun with roosters as I hatch a few every year. Always hard to choose which to keep.

The Rudolph cheese factory is the best place ever. The cheese curds when warm are divine. Best cheese in the world is made there. I always leave with an arm load.

Thanks for the offer. I'm always overrun with roosters as I hatch a few every year. Always hard to choose which to keep.

The Rudolph cheese factory is the best place ever. The cheese curds when warm are divine. Best cheese in the world is made there. I always leave with an arm load.
I do love that cheese, it's amazing!! I love inhaling all their smoked string cheese and cheese curds too when I go!

Haha, I figured you wouldn't need any but I thought it might be worth a shot. I'm sure someone will take them when the time comes though! And yeah, always hard to pick which you should let go. 🥺

Back
Top Bottom