Do I have hens or a big problem?

WhenInRhome

Chirping
May 6, 2015
Rhome Texas
I drove over an hour Saturday to get some 5 week old blue Ameraucanas. I misread the listing and thought the chicks he was offering were straight run but thought the older ones were sexed. Nope. He claimed he could not tell the difference, but smaller combs were the best bet. After seeing more on here I wish I would have read up first! There are two with reddish combs and three distinct ridges. There are 9 total, but 2 are for my neighbor. She has some 3 month olds who did not take very well to the new ones so I am going to hold them till they are a bit bigger.

So how many roos can you find?

The black one I am pretty sure he is a roo. He is always up front and has a red comb. He also has spats with this brown one, but the brown one has a narrow pale comb

this is one with a redder comb

The prettiest ones are usually roosters, or if you look at a chicken and think it's a roo, it probably is, that's how I figured my now favorite hen wasn't a roo

Those are Easter eggers, not purebred Ameraucanas. Boys will have three rows of 'peas,' girls will only have one row.

Are you serious?? I seriously drove over an hour for these. Here is a clip from his listing...

THESE ARE "NOT" EASTER EGGERS!!!

My Ameraucana Large Fowl Stock are all Fully Bearded and Muffed with White Skin, Pea Combs, Blue Shanks, and Lay Blue Eggs. VERY Fat, Fluffy, and Healthy!!!!

Ameraucana Chicks for sale~ Hatched on 4/9/15 are $7.00 each. 20 chicks to sell. Colors are Black, Blue. VERY FLUFFY, HEALTHY and FEATHERING OUT NICELY!!! and are outside. ready to go.

If I just overpaid and drove that far for easter eggers I am really going to be ******. Here are two pics from his listing. Are they not Ameraucanas?

They are not accepted colors and some of your chicks have clearly yellow feet. Easter eggers. The rooster in the pic is pretty, but he is neither black nor blue nor muffed. Three lies in one add.

Last edited:
I thought I was getting "blue" but then he talked me into a few of the brown ones and threw in the black one for free. I thought those were the right colors. I thought the one in the pic was a hen, when I was there I saw a rooster with a long fluffy butt. It wasnt the one in the pic for sure.

I am having a hard time dealing with being screwed. I might just let the cats have these and quit chickens all together. What an awful feeling knowing you worked so hard to get a specific kind of chicken and then end up with something else. I feel very taken advantage of.

I thought I was getting "blue" but then he talked me into a few of the brown ones and threw in the black one for free. I thought those were the right colors. I thought the one in the pic was a hen, when I was there I saw a rooster with a long fluffy butt. It wasnt the one in the pic for sure.

I am having a hard time dealing with being screwed. I might just let the cats have these and quit chickens all together. What an awful feeling knowing you worked so hard to get a specific kind of chicken and then end up with something else. I feel very taken advantage of.
Don't let one crooked breeder turn you away from keeping chickens if you really enjoy keeping chickens. You've already paid for them (even though it was more than you should have), so go ahead and enjoy them and the benefit of their eggs. There's nothing wrong with Easter Eggers. They typically outlay true Ameraucanas and they are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom