Do I have to feed my hens a layer if I have a rooster?

If your birds are over 16 weeks old, you can feed them Nutrena feather fixer poultry feed.
Game Bird feed is also good( about 22 percent protein)...esp. if you have large fowl dual purpose heritage breeds. They seem to need a bit higher protein than the other breeds.
Best,
Karen

I have 7 hens right now on layer feed, I will be getting 6 more hens and 1 rooster, shipped out on Monday, and I was wondering what type of feed I should switch to also?
I have a bag of (manna pro medicated chick feed) for the new arrivals, on hand.
should I be starting them all on something different ? like the all flock?
thank you

I have 7 hens right now on layer feed, I will be getting 6 more hens and 1 rooster, shipped out on Monday, and I was wondering what type of feed I should switch to also?
I have a bag of (manna pro medicated chick feed) for the new arrivals, on hand.
should I be starting them all on something different ? like the all flock?
thank you

all flock with oyster shell on the side.

You are going to get a lot of mixed answers. First, let's clarify something. The term rooster/hen applies to a chicken that is at least a year old. Those younger than a year old are called cockerel/pullet. The reason I'm stating this has to do with the appropriate feed for the age. Even though a pullet is laying, it's fine to keep them on flock raiser/grower type feed, with free choice oyster shell. This is good for the cockerel too. After they're a year old, it's fine to change them all to layer feed. Usually checking labels will reveal that there is quite a bit of calcium in both grower, and layer feeds. There is normally not enough difference to cause any problems.

Back
Top Bottom