Do I NEED a roo?

I am just starting my flock in a few days. The ones I am getting are supposedly all girls. Do I need a roo?

Yes, you need a big, fat, extra floofy, red English Orpington gentleman rooster because they make you extra, extra happy without crowing too much or being rude to humans. I have one, (technically two, but one's a cockerel) and if I could I would keep like SIX of them and eventually, I will have a bachlor pad and do just that. It's awful, but some days I like the boys better than my hens.

Unless you want to be able to raise your own chicks, it is not nessasary to have one. But..... My roo just saved all of our chickens from a fox and got injured in the prossess. He fought bravely and saved all of our chickens and died to save them. Or, we thought he was dead... He is alive with a crooked neck. He cannot walk or move his head or anything. i have to hand feed im and hand water him. Any ideas on how to help!?!?!?!
How long has he been like that? If he were mine, I'd maybe give him a couple of days to see if he improves. If he doesn't, I'd do the kindest thing for him and put him out of his misery. We need to put their comfort and needs ahead of ours, even if it makes us sad.

Cockbirds who spend time stalking and attacking the giants (humans!) who bring food every day are idiots, and they aren't looking out for their flock during that time. I want a smarter bird who spends his time watching for predators, not me, and who's taking care of his flock.
Mary
Roosters are not idiots; they're very smart. They are animals and they may not do everything that we expect them to do. They will put the flock/ hens first before you. Ignore the aggressive behaviour and they will be fine. Work with them, tell them "no" to correct bad behaviour, and maybe pick them up when relaxed so that you can handle them more. My roo is now about 6 months old; he's hormonal, but he's doing his job. His behavior will change over time. :)

Yes, and protection for the flock.
I would call it one component of flock protection. A rooster isn't going to be able to fight off a dog, coyote, fox, or any other larger predator. Often times, he's just a speed bump. A good rooster will sound an alarm if a threat is perceived. So will a dominant hen. That dominant hen will likely also lead the others to safety, as will a rooster. A rooster will be more likely to give his life to protect the flock, but then what? Then you're out a rooster and flock protector. So, I wouldn't rely entirely upon a rooster for protection. A good coop and run are also helpful. If you choose to free range, places of good cover are also helpful.

Here he is... he was supposed to be a black sex link hen lol... turns out he’s a mixed breed rooster, not quite sure what he is. The hatchery thought a Rhode Island Red and Barred rock mix. Not totally sure but he’s handsome and sweet!
View attachment 1293810 View attachment 1293811
Well, a BSL is a cross between a RIR rooster and a Barred Rock hen, so I'd say he's probably a BSL Rooster :).

Following this thread.Im rooster110 ,had to make an new account cause I forgot my password to this account TheTworoos

Back
Top Bottom