Do i need to move lawn clippings out of the run?

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
About 4 weeks ago, my husband dumped a huge pile (5'+ diameter) of yard clippings from our 2 acre yard right where the chicken run will be (because I told him i wanted to start a compost pile near the coop, duh). Top is dry, but there weren't any browns mixed in for proper composting and I'm sure it's wet and there's mold and such a few inches down.

I think I know the answer, but do I need to move the clippings? It's going to be a bear to wheel-barrow it all farther away. But of course, if it'll make them sick to dig in it, I'll move it.

Thanks!

if there is no run there yet, you could add some browns (dry leaves, shredded newspaper, woodchips) and mix it in the with the grass and it should start to break down pretty quickly

So, why is a proper compost pile okay in the run, but not a pile of just greens? I've done compost piles before and I'm sure you get mold in them too, especially if you don't tend them and let them go cold.

So, why is a proper compost pile okay in the run, but not a pile of just greens? I've done compost piles before and I'm sure you get mold in them too, especially if you don't tend them and let them go cold.
A proper mix of ingredients and aeration will compost nicely and not be toxic.
A pile of green grass clippings get anaerobic and possible toxic.
It can be a delicate balance.
You say the pile is 5' across but how deep/high is it?

You say the pile is 5' across but how deep/high is it?
3- 4 feet. It's a big pile. It was taller but has packed down.

I'll get out there with a pitchfork tomorrow and see what i can do. My husband's hurt himself and is in a sling currently, so he can't help. But then he can't help build the run either, so I guess the hens will be cooped up a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom