Do I want to learn about genetics? Yes. Is it very intimidating and scary? Yes.

Pics

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Soooo.................I really want to learn about chicken genetics, especially with colors, as I'd like to get into breeding someday and I need to know these things. Are there any good crash course sources? I also have some specific questions:
-what genes make a sex linked chick?
-how can a bird be carrying genes for, say, blue, if they're a black bird?
-how do you decode those seemingly random blobs of letters and symbols that mean things? They have a lot of ^ and +? Like E^wh+ as an example of what I'm talking about? (I know that 'E^wh+' probably isn't a real thing but you get the idea.
I'm specifically interested in these to help further my understanding of breeding to SOP and breeding projects/creating 'new breeds'.

Soooo.................I really want to learn about chicken genetics, especially with colors, as I'd like to get into breeding someday and I need to know these things. Are there any good crash course sources? I also have some specific questions:
-how do you decode those seemingly random blobs of letters and symbols that mean things? They have a lot of ^ and +? Like E^wh+ as an example of what I'm talking about? (I know that 'E^wh+' probably isn't a real thing but you get the idea.
I'm specifically interested in these to help further my understanding of breeding to SOP and breeding projects/creating 'new breeds'.
I don't know much about this, but I do know that a blue crossed with a blue can lead to black, white, blue, and more. I'm interested in this stuff too.

Ooooh! I have no idea, but I def want to learn more! I would also like to go into breeding some day!

I don't know much about this, but I do know that a blue crossed with a blue can lead to black, white, blue, and more. I'm interested in this stuff too.
The only color genetics I'm really familiar at all with are the BBS ones. Even then I don't have the crosses memorized, I always look up a chart.

From what I've learned from reading about dog genetics (I think it's similar), an animal can have the DNA for one coloring that almost remains 'unactivated' in that chicken, but if they have it in their DNA it will usually be passed on to their offspring (but in some/most of the babies it will remain unactivated). Of course, this is NOT scientific or technical, maybe somebody can help with the exact genetics?

Back
Top Bottom